Whitsunday water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 17 November 2023: Further water limitations have been issued for the taking of watercourse water for the purpose of rural and irrigation for the Andromache River and its tributaries.
- 2 October 2023: A prohibition has been issued (PDF, 121KB) for the taking of watercourse water for the purpose of rural or irrigation for the O'Connell River and its tributaries.
- 2 February 2022: Provisions from the Whitsunday resources operations plan have been published in contemporary documents under provisions of the Water Act 2000. A water management protocol, a resource operations licence, 2 distribution operations licences and respective operations manuals have now been published.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
Water plan information
- Water resource plan – to be read in conjunction with the provisions of the resource operations plan (PDF, 1.52MB) included in the water resource plan
- Water management protocol (PDF, 237KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and past water plans
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the operations manuals for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Proserpine River Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 245KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 215KB)|
|Kelsey Creek Scheme (Proserpine River Water Supply Scheme)||Kelsey Creek Water Co-operative Limited||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 70KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 111KB)|
|Six Mile Creek Scheme (Proserpine River Water Supply Scheme)||Six Mile Creek Irrigators Co-operative Limited||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 69KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 112KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading – water scheme areas||Proserpine River: Allocation trading and rules | Current locations of water allocations|
|Seasonal water assignment|
Water supply schemes: Check the relevant operations manual for rules and read about the application process
Contact the Mackay business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Whitsunday water plan area.
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves.
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020–2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 3 Oct 2023
- Last updated: 17 Nov 2023