COVID-19 alert: Read about eased restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 1am, Friday 22 January.
Whitsunday water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 8 January 2021: Water limitations are withdrawn for the taking of watercourse water for O'Connell and Andromache rivers, and their tributaries.
- 28 August 2020: A notice was gazetted to postpone the expiry date of the water plan to 1 December 2025. This followed a public consultation on the proposal to extend the expiry. An addendum to the latest Minister's report providing a rationale for the proposal is available.
- 19 Feb 2020: A public notice rescinding the deferred aspect of the Whitsunday draft resource operations plan (PDF, 118KB) has been published.
- 19 Feb 2019: The latest Minister's report assessing of the performance of the water plan is now available.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents. The Whitsunday water management protocol and resource operations licence/manual are in preparation.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
Water plan information
- Water resource plan
- Resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) | Explanatory notes (PDF, 441KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and past water plans
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Proserpine Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading - water scheme areas||Proserpine River: Allocation trading and rules | Current locations of water allocations|
|Seasonal water assignment||Check the resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) for rules and read about the application process|
Contact the Mackay business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Whitsunday water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020-2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 15 Jun 2020
- Last updated: 8 Jan 2021