Whitsunday water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 19 February 2019: The latest Minister's report is now available, the report provides an assessment of the performance of the Water Resource (Whitsunday) Plan 2010.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents. The Whitsunday water management protocol and resource operations licence/manual are in preparation.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
Water plan information
- Water resource plan
- Resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) | Explanatory notes (PDF, 441KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and past water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Note: When the resource operations plan was first released as a draft, stakeholders raised concerns about the proposals for water sharing in the Andromache River and O'Connell River catchments. Because of these concerns, some rules for these catchments have not been finalised and have been deferred. These are described in a public notice (PDF, 400KB) issued on 17 November 2011.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Proserpine Water Supply Scheme||SunWater|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading - water scheme areas||Proserpine River: Allocation trading and rules | Current locations of water allocations|
|Seasonal water assignment||Check the resource operations plan (PDF, 2.4MB) for rules and read about the application process|
Contact the Mackay business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Whitsunday water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 19 Feb 2019
- Last updated: 22 Feb 2019