Burnett Basin water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 9 Apr 2020: We have released for public comment a new draft amendment to the water management protocol and draft water entitlement notice for the Barambah Creek groundwater management area. Access the draft documents and make a submission by 5pm, 29 May 2020.
- 25 Feb 2020: A water management protocol and 4 water supply scheme licences and manuals have now been published. The rules in the previous resource operations plan have been moved to the new documents and are unchanged.
- Nov 2019: The latest Minister's report assessing the performance of the water plan (PDF, 3.6MB) is now available.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements. Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers|
Water plan information
- Water plan - to be read in conjunction with the Burnett transitions from ROP to water plan (PDF, 7.3MB)
- Water management protocol (PDF, 607KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water supply scheme operators and manuals
The licences contain information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holders. Check the operations manuals for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Barker Barambah Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 125KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 205KB)|
|Boyne River and Tarong Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 2.3MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 211KB)|
|Bundaberg Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 139KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 240KB)|
|Three Moon Creek Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Interim resource operations licence||Not yet available|
|Upper Burnett Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 130KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 338KB)|
Water sharing rules
- Water supply schemes: check the operations manuals in the section above
- Unsupplemented water and underground water: check the water management protocol (PDF, 607KB)
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading - water supply schemes|
Check the water management protocol (PDF, 607KB) for dealing rules for water supply schemes, unsupplemented water and underground water.
For additional information on trading in the following water supply schemes see:
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Check the water management protocol (PDF, 607KB) for dealing rules for unsupplemented water and underground water.
For additional information on trading in the water management areas see:
|Seasonal water assignment|
Seasonal trading options – Coastal Burnett
Use this tool to check what seasonal trades are possible between zones in the Coastal Burnett location. Note: This calculator is being trialled for the Coastal Burnett region only.
Trades that match your search
Some sort of message here
Other possible trades
You can trade with the following zones (up to the maximum volume for each zone).
Contact the Bundaberg business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Burnett Basin.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 4 Dec 2018
- Last updated: 8 Apr 2020