Burnett Basin water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- November 2019: The latest Minister's report assessing the performance of the water plan (PDF, 3.6MB) is now available.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents. The Burnett Basin water management protocol and 4 resource operations licences/manuals are in preparation.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements. Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers|
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Resource operations plan (PDF, 6.7MB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 6.7MB) for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Three Moon Creek Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
|Bundaberg Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
|Upper Burnett Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
|Barker Barambah Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
|Boyne River and Tarong Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading - water supply schemes|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Barker Barambah: Current locations of water allocations
Coastal Burnett Groundwater: Current locations of water allocations
Lower Burnett and Kolan Rivers: Current locations of water allocations
Upper Burnett and Nogo Rivers: Current locations of water allocations
Boyne and Stuart Rivers water management area: check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 6.7MB) for trading rules.
|Seasonal water assignment|
For the Coastal Burnett region, check the online calculator below for seasonal trading options
Seasonal trading options – Coastal Burnett
Use this tool to check what seasonal trades are possible between zones in the Coastal Burnett location. Note: This calculator is being trialled for the Coastal Burnett region only.
Trades that match your search
Some sort of message here
Other possible trades
You can trade with the following zones (up to the maximum volume for each zone).
Contact the Bundaberg business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Burnett Basin.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 04 Dec 2018
- Last updated: 30 Jan 2020
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 25/02/2020
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Townsville 26/02/2020