Announced entitlements and announced allocations
In certain circumstances, the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water (the department) may make an announcement limiting the water that may be taken under a water licence or water allocation for a water year. These limitations are referred to as announced allocations, announced entitlements or annual announced limits. These occur in certain situations, including times of drought, low water availability or stress on water resources.
Announced entitlements and annual announced limits
A water management area that has been identified in the Water Regulation 2016, a water plan or a water management protocol may have water sharing rules which are subject to announced entitlements or annual announced limits.
- Announced entitlements may apply to unsupplemented water licences and unsupplemented water allocations managed by the department. Holders of a water licence or water allocation that are subject to an announced entitlement will be notified before the start of their water year and will be advised of any additional changes that may occur throughout that year.
- Annual announced limits apply to unsupplemented water allocations. Holders of a water allocation that is subject to an annual announced limit will be notified before the start of their water year.
- Lower Callide Groundwater Sub-Area – priority unsupplemented water allocations in the Lower Callide Groundwater Sub-Area that are in water allocation group GW1A (Town Water Supply) have an announced allocation of 100%.
Announced allocations can apply to both supplemented and unsupplemented water allocations.
- Supplemented water allocations are managed by a water supply scheme operator such as Sunwater or Seqwater. Holders of a supplemented water allocation should check with their current announced allocation with their local water supply scheme operator.
- Unsupplemented water allocations are managed by the department. Holders of an unsupplemented water allocation subject to announced allocations will be notified by us at the start of their water year and advised of any additional changes that may occur throughout that year.
To understand how your announced allocation was calculated, you can download the calculation sheet (XLS, 27KB). If your zone is subject to seawater intrusion adjustment, you will find the relevant zone in the AA- With EC adjustment tab. If your zone is not subject to seawater intrusion adjustment, you will find your zone in the AA- Without EC adjustment tab.
* Calculations for Zone 17A – Pioneer groundwater management area (XLS, 13KB)—referenced in the entitlements search above.
- Last reviewed: 1 Jan 2017
- Last updated: 2 Jun 2023