COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.

Water authorisations for industry and government

In addition to the requirements that apply to landholders in general, special requirements may apply for certain activities by industry and government.

Constructing authorities

Constructing authorities (as defined in Schedule 2 of the Acquisition of Land Act 1967) can take water without a permit or licence to construct or maintain infrastructure. The requirements for this exemption are outlined in the Exemption requirements for constructing authorities for the take of water without a water entitlement (PDF, 268KB).

Holders of environmental authorities and development permits

In some circumstances, holders of environmental authorities or development permits for certain environmentally relevant activities can take overland flow water that is not more than the volume necessary to satisfy the requirements of the authority or permit.

In addition, a person can interfere with the flow of water within a watercourse by impoundment as necessary to satisfy the requirements of an environmental authority.

Contact your local business centre to check requirements.

Mining, petroleum and gas activities

Special requirements apply to resource activities. Learn more about water authorisations for mining, petroleum and gas activities.

Also consider…


Coronavirus (COVID-19) business support: 1300 654 687

General enquiries: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)