Wet Tropics water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- Aug 2019: The latest Minister's report is now available. It provides a performance assessment of the Wet Tropics water plan.
- 14 Mar 2018: 1,200 megalitres of unallocated water was released by public auction in zone 1D of the Mulgrave-Russell groundwater management area. A total of 950 megalitres was granted as water licences to 6 successful bidders out of a total of 12 pre-approvals to bid. Water auctioned for an average price of $652 per megalitre.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents. The Wet Tropics water management protocol is currently in preparation.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Not managed|
Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements in these groundwater management areas: Mulgrave-Russell, Mossman, Southern Tablelands, Lower Johnstone, South Johnstone, Liverpool Creek, Tully, Lower Herbert
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Resource operations plan (PDF, 3.4MB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited by announced entitlements and limits.|
|Relocatable water licences||Available. Read about the relocatable water licence market.|
|Seasonal water assignment|
Contact the South Johnstone Business Centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Wet Tropics water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020-2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 26 Aug 2019
- Last updated: 26 Aug 2019