Fitzroy Basin water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 16 September – 10 October 2022 – Have your say on proposed amendments to the water management protocol to support the operation of Rookwood Weir.
- 12 September – 10 October 2022 – Consultation has commenced on the proposed operational rules for the Rookwood Weir Water Supply Scheme. Visit the Sunwater project.
- 2 September 2022 – A stated amendment to the Fitzroy Basin Water Plan has been finalised. The changes to the water plan clarify the location from where supplemented water allocation groups can take water within the Rookwood Weir Water Supply Scheme.
- 1–30 September 2022 – 90,000ML of strategic water infrastructure reserve is being made available from the Dawson River for temporary access (up to 3 years).
- 1 September 2022 – Publication of the Strategic Water Infrastructure Reserve Dawson River Pilot Project Review Report (PDF, 1.2MB)
- 19 August 2022 – A notice was gazetted to postpone the expiry date of the water plan to 30 August 2025. Postponing the expiry of the water plan will allow the department to complete technical assessments and undertake adequate consultation to address current and emerging issues as part of the replacement process.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements—also refer below for notification requirements for overland flow works.|
Check the water plan and water management protocol for rules and requirements for the Isaac Connors, Highlands, Carnarvon, Fitzroy and Callide groundwater management areas.|
Check the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers water plan for additional requirements that might apply.
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Water management protocol (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan
Notification of existing overland flow works
To ensure you meet the requirement of the water plan, you must notify us of existing overland flow works as soon as possible. Failure to do this is a breach of the Water Act 2000. Use form W2F019 – Notification of existing overland flow works (PDF, 273KB). For works installed after these dates, find out more about requirements for new works for taking overland flow.
- If you are a landowner, you must notify us if the works were in existence prior to 13 September 2001.
- If you are a holder of a mining tenement and or petroleum tenure, you must notify us if the works were in existence prior to 9 December 2011. You do not need to notify us if the works are to satisfy the requirement of an environmental authority issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the relevant operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Callide Valley Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 249KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 258KB)|
|Dawson Valley Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 175KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 271KB)|
|Theodore Channel Scheme (Dawson Valley Water Supply Scheme)||Theodore Water||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 123KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 245KB)|
|Fitzroy Barrage Water Supply Scheme||Fitzroy River Water||Resource operations licence (PDF, 86KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 95KB)|
|Lower Fitzroy Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 222KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 99KB)|
|Nogoa Mackenzie Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 160KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 1.3MB)|
|Emerald Channel Scheme (Nogoa Mackenzie Water Supply Scheme)||Fairbairn Irrigation Network Pty Ltd||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 195KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 511KB)|
Rookwood Weir Water Supply Scheme
To be developed
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water.|
|Water allocation trading - water supply schemes|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Check the water management protocol (see above) for trading rules for:
|Seasonal water assignment|
Check the water management protocol (see above) for rules and read about the application process.
Read about the Rookwood Weir project.
Contact the Rockhampton business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Fitzroy Basin.
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves.
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020–2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 28 Jul 2022
- Last updated: 16 Nov 2022