Fitzroy Basin water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 30 May 2019: The Fitzroy Basin water management protocol (PDF, 876KB) and Callide Valley water supply operations manual (PDF, 260KB) were amended to correct elevation datum errors which relate to water sharing rules for the Lower Callide groundwater sub-area. Read the statement of changes (PDF, 76KB) for details on these amendments.
- 28 March 2019: 90,000ML of Strategic water infrastructure reserve is being made available from the Dawson River for temporary access (up to 3 years).
- 2 October 2018: The Theodore Channel Scheme (part of the Dawson Valley Water Supply Scheme) has transitioned to local management arrangements.
- 29 June 2018: The water management protocol (PDF, 863KB) and 5 resource operations licences and manuals have now been published.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements—also refer below for notification requirements for overland flow works.|
Check the water plan and water management protocol for rules and requirements for the Isaac Connors, Highlands, Carnarvon, Fitzroy and Callide groundwater management areas.|
Check the Great Artesian Basin and other regional aquifers water plan for additional requirements that might apply.
Water plan information
- Water plan—to be read in conjunction with the provisions of the resource operations plan included in the water plan (PDF, 2.1MB).
- Water management protocol (PDF, 876KB).
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water sharing rules
- Don River and Dee River groundwater sub - area water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules (PDF, 934KB)
- Interim Don and Dee Rivers and Alma Creek water management area water sharing rules (PDF, 502KB)
- Prospect Creek and Upper Callide groundwater sub-areas water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules (PDF, 1MB)
Notification of existing overland flow works
To ensure you meet the requirement of the water plan, you must notify us of existing overland flow works as soon as possible. Failure to do this is a breach of the Water Act 2000. Use form W2F019 - Notification of existing overland flow works (PDF, 273KB). For works installed after these dates, find out more about requirements for new works for taking overland flow.
- If you are a landowner, you must notify us if the works were in existence prior to 13 September 2001.
- If you are a holder of a mining tenement and or petroleum tenure, you must notify us if the works were in existence prior to 9 December 2011. You do not need to notify us if the works are to satisfy the requirement of an environmental authority issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the relevant operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Callide Valley Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 110KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 260KB)|
|Dawson Valley Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 196KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 271KB)|
|Theodore Channel Scheme (Dawson Valley Water Supply Scheme)||Theodore Water||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 123KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 245KB)|
|Fitzroy Barrage Water Supply Scheme||Fitzroy River Water||Resource operations licence (PDF, 86KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 95KB)|
|Lower Fitzroy Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 89KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 99KB)|
|Nogoa Mackenzie Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 142KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 202KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water.|
|Unallocated water releases||Submissions are being accepted up until 5pm 10 May 2019 for temporary access to 90,000ML of Strategic water infrastructure reserves which is being made available from the Dawson River.|
|Water allocation trading - water supply schemes|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Check the water management protocol (PDF, 863KB) for trading rules for:
|Seasonal water assignment|
Contact the Rockhampton business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Fitzroy Basin.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 07 Aug 2018
- Last updated: 31 May 2019