Burdekin Basin water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 28 August 2019: A notice was gazetted to postpone the expiry date of the water plan to 1 September 2023.
- 28 August 2019: A summary of the consultation on postponing the expiry (PDF, 432KB) is now available.
- 28 Jun 2019: The Water Amendment Plan (Burdekin Basin) 2019 and associated water entitlement notice and water management protocol have now been finalised and can be accessed below. The Minister's consideration report (PDF, 922KB) explains the consultation process and how issues were addressed.
- 29 Sep 2017: The Lower Burdekin Groundwater Strategy is being developed to address rising groundwater levels and soil salinity. View the discussion paper and find out more about the project.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the Water Regulation 2016 for requirements in the Burdekin, Greater Western and Highlands water management areas. Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers|
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Water amendment plan
- Water management protocol (PDF, 597KB)
- Water entitlement notice (PDF, 737KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water sharing rules
- Burdekin Groundwater Management Area - water sharing rules and seasonal water assignment rules (PDF, 1MB)
Water supply scheme operators and manuals
The licences contain information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holders. Check the operations manuals for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Burdekin Haughton Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 145KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 148KB)|
|Bowen Broken Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 115KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 158KB)|
|Lower Burdekin||Lower Burdekin Water Board||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 66KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 92KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water allocations or licences may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water.|
|Unallocated water releases||Check current release process|
|Water allocation trading - water scheme areas|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Trading available in the Lower Burdekin, Haughton, Bowen Broken, Upper Burdekin and Cape Campaspe water management areas. Check the Water management protocol (PDF, 597KB) for trading rules.
Contact the Ayr business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Burdekin Basin.
Also consider ...
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020-2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 26 Feb 2020
- Last updated: 26 Feb 2020