On this page you'll find information to help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 29 Sep 2017: The consultation on ways to address rising groundwater levels and soil salinity has now closed. View the discussion paper (PDF, 1.6MB).
- 25 Aug 2017: Notice published to postpone the expiry of the water plan to 1 September 2019.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Find out more about where to find information in the new water planning documents.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the Water Regulation 2016 for requirements in the Burdekin, Great Western and Highlands water management areas|
Water plan and protocol
- Water plan
- Water management protocol (PDF, 176KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
Water sharing rules
- Burdekin Groundwater Management Area - water sharing rules and seasonal water assignment rules (PDF, 1MB)
Water supply scheme operators and manual
The licences contain information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holders. Check the operations manuals for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Burdekin Haughton Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 145KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 148KB)|
|Bowen Broken Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 115KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 158KB)|
|Lower Burdekin||Lower Burdekin Water Board||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 66KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 92KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water allocations or licences may be limited by announced entitlements and limits|
|Unallocated water releases||Check current release process|
|Water allocation trading - water scheme areas|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Trading available in the Lower Burdekin, Haughton and Bowen River water management areas. Check the water management protocol (PDF, 176KB) for trading rules
Contact the Ayr business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Burdekin Basin.
- Last reviewed: 12 Oct 2017
- Last updated: 12 Oct 2017