Border Rivers and Moonie water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
Check whether your property is covered by the plan on the Queensland Globe water plan map (use Google Chrome for best results) or download the Border Rivers and Moonie water plan area map (PDF, 409KB).
- Sep 2019: The Border Rivers and Moonie water resource plan has been accredited by the Australian Government.
- 30 Aug 2019: A moratorium notice on works to take contaminated agricultural runoff (PDF, 90KB) has been published.
- 10 Jun 2019: The water entitlement notice (PDF, 1.8MB) to convert, grant or amend water entitlements has been published. All affected licence holders will be notified.
- 8 Apr 2019: The water management protocol has been amended to correct an administrative error and can be accessed below. A statement of changes (PDF, 353KB) summarises the changes.
- 22 Feb 2019: The new water plan has now been finalised and can be accessed below. The consultation report (PDF, 1.8MB) explains how submissions from the public were addressed in finalising the plan. You can also view Water connections: Aboriginal people's water needs in the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin and a long-term water plan.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers. Check the Border Rivers and Moonie water plan (below) for all other underground water|
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Water management protocol (PDF, 4.9MB)
- Access historical documents and plans:
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the previous Border Rivers plan and Minister's performance reports for the previous Moonie River plan.
Water-sharing agreement with New South Wales
The New South Wales–Queensland Border Rivers Intergovernmental Agreement 2008 (PDF, 653KB) provides direction on water sharing and access, interstate trading, and managing flows of streams shared by both states as well as water for the Murray-Darling Basin.
Water supply scheme operators and manuals
The licence contains information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holder. Check the operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Border Rivers Water Supply Scheme||Queensland Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy||Resource operations licence (PDF, 99KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 198KB)|
|Callandoon Water Supply Scheme||Callandoon Water Supply Board||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 40KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 104KB)|
|Macintyre Brook Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 86KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 275KB)|
|Yambocully Water Supply Scheme||Yambocully Water Board||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 40KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 107KB)|
Water sharing rules
- Check the operations manual in the above section for water sharing rules for supplemented water for the relevant water supply scheme.
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading|
Check the Water management protocol (PDF, 4.9MB) for dealing rules for water supply schemes, unsupplemented water and underground water
For additional information on trading in the following water supply schemes see:
|Seasonal water assignment|
Contact the Toowoomba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Border Rivers and Moonie water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Find out more about water management in the Queensland Murray-Darling Basin.
- Last reviewed: 22 Feb 2019
- Last updated: 8 May 2020