COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Gulf water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 29 Jun 2020: Applications have opened for unallocated water in the Gilbert, Norman and Nicholson catchments and the Lower Leichardt sub-catchment.
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents. The Gulf water management protocol, 2 resources operations licences and 1 distribution operations licence and associated manuals are currently in preparation.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers. Check the Gulf water plan (below) for all other underground water|
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB) | Explanatory notes (PDF, 48KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB) for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Moondarra Dam Water Supply Scheme||Mount Isa Mines|
|Julius Dam Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||Applications are open for the Gulf unallocated water release (Gilbert and Cloncurry Rivers)|
|Relocatable water licences||Available. Read about the relocatable water licence market|
|Seasonal water assignment||Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB) for rules and read about the application process|
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Gulf water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020-2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 1 Dec 2017
- Last updated: 29 Jun 2020