Gulf water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 5 December 2023: The 5-yearly Minister’s performance assessment report (PDF, 1.6MB) for the Gulf water plan has been released. The report indicates that increasing demands for water to support industry growth are not currently being met. To revisit how to best balance the needs for all water users in the catchment, a review of the water plan will commence in early 2024.
- 30 November 2024: Due date for meter revalidations for the Gilbert River catchment area.
- 30 November 2021: The Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water has approved the release of unallocated water by competitive tender for water from the general reserve in the Flinders Catchment.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Underground water||Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers. Check the Gulf water plan (below) for all other underground water|
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB) | Explanatory notes (PDF, 48KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB) for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Moondarra Dam Water Supply Scheme||Mount Isa Mines||Resource operations licence (PDF, 90KB)||Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB)|
|Julius Dam Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 27KB)||Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB)|
|Mt Isa Water Board Water Supply Scheme||Mount Isa Water Board Pty Ltd||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 92KB)||Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||Applications are open for the Gulf unallocated water release (Gilbert and Cloncurry Rivers)|
|Relocatable water licences||Available. Read about the relocatable water licence market|
|Seasonal water assignment||Check the Resource operations plan (PDF, 4.8MB) for rules and read about the application process|
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Gulf water plan area.
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves.
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020–2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 1 Jul 2022
- Last updated: 5 Dec 2023