Barron water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 23 June 2023: The Barron water plan review has been finalised with the release of the Water Plan (Barron) 2023, Barron Water Entitlement Notice 2023 (PDF, 608KB) and Barron Water Management Protocol June 2023 (PDF, 1.6MB). The water plan review followed more than 2 years of community consultation and scientific assessments to ensure local environmental, cultural, agricultural, recreational and urban water needs are met into the future.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Not managed|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
Water plan information
- Water plan (Barron) 2023
- Barron Water Management Protocol (June 2023) (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Barron Water Entitlement Notice 2023 (PDF, 608KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan
Water supply scheme operator and manual
The licence contains information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holder. Check the operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Mareeba–Dimbulah Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 164KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 194KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Relocatable water licences||Available—read about the relocatable water licence market|
|Water allocation trading – water scheme areas|
|Water allocation trading – unsupplemented water|
Contact the Mareeba business centre for details
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Barron water plan area.
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves.
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020–2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 7 Jul 2022
- Last updated: 23 Aug 2023