Barron water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 6 July 2022: Notice of release of draft Water Plan (Barron), draft water management protocol, and draft water entitlement for consultation. Submissions close 19 August 2022.
- 19 August 2022: Call for public submissions in response to consultation draft water plan closes.
- 16 April 2021: The preliminary public consultation notice for the proposed replacement of the Barron water plan (PDF, 120KB) has now closed.
- August 2019: The latest Minister's report is now available. It provides a performance assessment of the Barron water plan.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Not managed|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
Water plan information
- Water plan—to be read in conjunction with the Barron transitions from resource operations plan to water plan (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Water management protocol (PDF, 200KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan
Water supply scheme operator and manual
The licence contains information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holder. Check the operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Mareeba–Dimbulah Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 164KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 194KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Relocatable water licences||Available—read about the relocatable water licence market|
|Water allocation trading – water scheme areas|
|Water allocation trading – unsupplemented water|
Barron Water Management Area: Current locations of water allocations
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Barron water plan area.
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves.
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020–2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 7 Jul 2022
- Last updated: 7 Jul 2022