Barron water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- Aug 2019: The latest Minister's report is now available. It provides a performance assessment of the Barron water plan.
- 9 Jun 2017: The water management protocol was amended to correct errors in groundwater levels for a monitoring bore in the Northwest zone. Read about the changes made to the protocol (PDF, 25KB).
- We are implementing a new water planning framework. Learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Not managed|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
Water plan information
- Water plan - to be read in conjunction with the Barron transitions from ROP to water plan (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Water management protocol (PDF, 200KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water supply scheme operators and manual
The licence contains information about the roles and responsibilities of the licence holder. Check the operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Mareeba-Dimbulah Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 135KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 194KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Relocatable water licences||Available—read about the relocatable water licence market.|
|Water allocation trading - water scheme areas|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water|
Barron Water Management Area: Current locations of water allocations
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Barron water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 26 Aug 2019
- Last updated: 26 Aug 2019