Mary Basin water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
Check whether your property is covered by the plan on the Queensland Globe water plan map (use Google Chrome for best results) or download the Mary Basin water plan area map (PDF, 1.9MB).
- 22 February – 26 May 2023: The public consultation on the draft Mary Basin water plan, management protocol and water entitlement notice has now closed.
- 28 May 2021: A notice was gazetted to postpone the expiry date of the water plan to 28 May 2024. Postponing the expiry of the water plan will allow the department to complete technical assessments and undertake adequate consultation to address current and emerging issues as part of the replacement process.
- 27 May 2021: The preliminary public consultation notice (PDF, 15KB) for the proposed replacement of the Mary Basin water plan is now available. The notice explains the reasons for replacing the plan and consultation arrangements. The Minister's report provides further information in regard to the reasons for replacing the plan. Submissions on the notice closed on 30 July 2021.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements|
|Overland flow||Not managed|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements for the Cooloola Sandmass subartesian area|
Water plan information
- Water plan – to be read in conjunction with the provisions of the resource operations plan included in the water plan (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Water management protocol (PDF, 197KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans.
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan.
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area.
|Baroon Pocket Water Supply Scheme||Seqwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 4.1MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 153KB)|
|Cedar Pocket Water Supply Scheme||Seqwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 3.5MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 266KB)|
|Lower Mary River Water Supply Scheme||Sunwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 228KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 228KB)|
|Mary Valley Water Supply Scheme||Seqwater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 4.2MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 299KB)|
|Teddington Weir Water Supply Scheme||Fraser Coast Regional Council||Resource operations licence (PDF, 4MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 139KB)|
|Wide Bay Water Supply Scheme||Fraser Coast Regional Council||Resource operations licence (PDF, 512KB)||Operations manual (PDF,158KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check water management protocol (see above) or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading – water supply schemes|
|Seasonal water assignment|
Check the water management protocol (PDF, 197KB) for rules and read about the application process
Contact the Gympie business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Mary Basin.
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves.
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020–2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 1 Jul 2022
- Last updated: 11 Mar 2022
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 06/06/2023
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 07/06/2023
Contact your local water management office.