Cape York water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
Check whether your property is covered by the plan on the Cape York water plan area map (PDF, 542KB).
- 8 November 2019: A notice to withdraw the moratorium for the Cape York water plan area (PDF, 145KB).
- 8 November 2019: The water entitlement notice (PDF, 145KB) to grant, convert, replace, repeal and amend water entitlements has been published. All affected entitlement holders will be notified.
- The Cape York water management protocol (PDF, 574KB) has been finalised and all provisions have now commenced. The department has commenced the process to offer and grant water under the water management protocol from the Cape York Peninsula Heritage Area reserve. Once granted, the entitlement holder can enter into negotiations with third parties about opportunities for the use of water under these entitlements.
- 9 August 2019: Notification of existing overland flow works (PDF, 273KB) can now be submitted and are due to the department by 8 June 2020.
- 7 Jun 2019: The water plan has now been finalised and can be accessed below. The Minister's considerations report (PDF, 1.4MB) explains how submissions from the public were addressed in finalising the plan.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for underground water and spring water in the Great Artesian Basin and other important regional aquifers.|
Check the water plan below for all other underground water rules and requirements.
Water plan information
- Water plan
- Water management protocol (PDF, 573KB)
- Access the Cape York water atlas and other historical documents and reports
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 7 Jun 2019
- Last updated: 8 Nov 2019