Cape York water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
Check whether your property is covered by the plan on the Cape York water plan area map (PDF, 1MB).
- 7 June 2019: The water plan has now been finalised and can be accessed below. The Minister's Consideration report (PDF, 1MB) explains how submissions from the public were addressed in finalising the plan.
- 7 June 2019: A draft water entitlement notice (PDF, 472KB) was released for public consultation on 4 June 2018 concurrently with the draft Water Plan (Cape York), see historical documents link below and draft Cape York Water Management Protocol (PDF, 713KB). The final water entitlement notice is anticipated for release in late October to convert, grant or amend water entitlements.
- 4 June 2018: A moratorium notice (PDF, 107KB) is in effect and will stay in place until the final water entitlement notice is released. Read the moratorium fact sheet (PDF, 684KB) for details.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
|Overland flow||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
Check the water plan for rules and requirements.|
Check the Great Artesian Basin and Other Regional Aquifers water plan for additional requirements that might apply.
Water plan information
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
Contact the Mareeba business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the plan area.
Also consider ...
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Last reviewed: 07 Jun 2019
- Last updated: 12 Jun 2019