Pioneer Valley water plan area
This information will help you understand how water is managed in the water plan area and how you can access water.
Map of the water plan area
- 1 July 2021: The announced allocations/entitlements for the 2021-22 water year for the Pioneer Valley Groundwater Management Area are now available, see Accessing water below.
- 24 Apr 2020: The water management protocol was amended to clarify the announced entitlement review date for particular water licences. Read the statement of changes (PDF, 68KB) for details.
- 3 Apr 2020 The Eton Channel Scheme has transitioned to local management arrangements.
- 10 Jan 2020: The Department of Environment and Science has made its report on seawater intrusion into coastal aquifers available.
- 11 Oct 2019: The water management protocol, 2 resource operations licences, 1 distribution operations licence and the respective operations manuals have now been published.
- 23 May 2019: The latest Minister's report is now available; the report provides an assessment of the performance of the Water Plan (Pioneer) 2002.
|Type of water||Management|
|Surface water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
|Overland flow||Not managed|
|Underground water||Check the water plan information below for rules and requirements.|
Water plan information
- Water plan - to be read in conjunction with the provisions of the resource operations plan included in the water plan (2.2MB)
- Water management protocol (PDF, 709KB)
- Access historical documents and reports and previous water plans
- Access the Minister's performance reports for the plan
Water supply scheme operators
The following schemes operate in the water plan area. Check the relevant operations manual for day-to-day operational, water sharing and seasonal water assignment rules.
|Pioneer River Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 5.9MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 288KB)|
|Pioneer River Water Supply Scheme||Pioneer Valley Water Board||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 3MB)||Operations manual (PDF, 137KB)|
|Eton Water Supply Scheme||SunWater||Resource operations licence (PDF, 315KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 731KB)|
|Eton Irrigation Cooperative Ltd||SunWater||Distribution operations licence (PDF, 331KB)||Operations manual (PDF, 445KB)|
Follow the links below for more information on how to access water in the water plan area.
|Announced entitlements and limits||The water you can take through your water entitlement may be limited. Check announced entitlements and limits for unsupplemented water or contact the water supply scheme operator for supplemented water.|
|Unallocated water releases||No current releases|
|Water allocation trading - water supply schemes|
|Water allocation trading - unsupplemented water||Pioneer Groundwater Management Area: Current locations of water allocations|
|Seasonal water assignment||Check the water management protocol (see above) for rules and read about the application process.|
Contact the Mackay business centre for more information on water management and how you can access water in the Pioneer Valley water plan area.
Also consider ...
- Find out more about Indigenous water reserves
- Get streamflow and groundwater data from the Queensland Government Water monitoring information portal.
- Access maps and water data using Queensland Globe or the water entitlement viewer.
- Read about regional natural resources management projects.
- Find out about river improvement trusts and their work.
- View price information for permanent water allocation trades and relocatable water licences.
- Read about water planning and learn where to find information in the new water planning documents.
- Read the Water planning science plan 2020-2030 to find out how we use science to develop water plans and improve water planning.
- Last reviewed: 3 Apr 2020
- Last updated: 1 Jul 2021