Blue morning glory

Native to tropical America, blue morning glory is a vigorous, perennial climber. It is now a common weed throughout South East Queensland.

Blue morning glory's thick, smothering growth is a common sight on many rural roadsides and forest edges.

Blue morning glory is not a prohibited or restricted invasive plant under the Biosecurity Act 2014.

Scientific name

Ipomoea indica

Similar species

  • Ipomoea cairica


  • Vine with slender stems up to 7m long.
  • Leaves are dark green, broadly heart-shaped, 3–5 lobes, 4–17cm long, 3–16cm wide, on leafstalk 2–18cm long.
  • Flowers are striking blue-mauve, funnel-shaped, with groups of 3–12 petals fused to 8cm size, short-lived, readily replaced as they die.
  • Seeds are angular, blackish, to 4mm long.


  • Common along roadsides and forest edges.


  • Found throughout South East Queensland.

Life cycle

  • Flowers all year.



  • Climbs high into canopies of native vegetation.
  • Creates significant shading hazard for other species.
  • Twining stems choke adjacent seedlings and smother mature plants.

How it is spread

  • Spread by slashers, water and garden refuse.


Physical control

  • Hand-pull roots.
  • Mulch heavily to prevent regrowth.
  • Take care to ensure your own and others safety when trimming or lopping blue morning glory near power lines. For electrical safety information, visit WorkSafe Queensland.

Herbicide control

  • Herbicides are effective.

See the Blue morning glory fact sheet (PDF, 3.4MB) for herbicide control and application rates.

Legal requirements

  • Blue morning glory is not a prohibited or restricted invasive plant under the Biosecurity Act 2014. However, by law, everyone has a general biosecurity obligation (GBO) to take reasonable and practical steps to minimise the risks associated with invasive plants under their control.
  • Local councils must have a biosecurity plan that covers invasive plants in their area. This plan may include actions to be taken on Blue morning glory. Some of these actions may be required under local laws. Contact your local council for more information.

Further information