Fireworks contractor licences
A fireworks contractor licence allows an individual, corporation or partnership to:
- organise a fireworks display for the display host
- possess fireworks to supply them to a fireworks operator
- purchase fireworks to use in a fireworks display organised by the fireworks contractor
- store and transport limited quantities of fireworks (to supply them to a fireworks operator).
If a fireworks contractor is an individual, they must also be an authorised fireworks operator.
If a fireworks contractor is a corporation, the corporation must have a nominated licensed fireworks operator who is a qualified fireworks contractor.
The licence will list the categories of fireworks display authorised under the licence.
Publicly listed corporations must appoint a responsible person for explosives matters if they have not already done so.
The competency requirements for different types of fireworks are shown in the table below.
In Queensland, Healthy Business Training Academy and Fireworks Australia (Importers) Pty Ltd are the only organisations approved to provide this training. Contact them to discuss your training requirements.
Competency requirements for fireworks operators and contractors
|Competency unit||Fireworks operators||Fireworks contractors|
|CUAPYR411 Manage health and safety requirements at fireworks displays||OD, CP, SC||_|
|CUAPYR412 Operate outdoor fireworks displays||OD||_|
|CUAPYR413 Plan outdoor fireworks display||_||OD, CP, SC|
|CUAPYR414 Operate close proximity fireworks displays||CP||_|
|CUAPYR415 Plan close proximity fireworks displays||_||CP1|
|Competency assessment by inspector||SC*||_|
- OD: Outdoor fireworks displays (including strings of crackers)
- CP: Close proximity
- SC: Strings of crackers
- *Course not yet available
- 1CUAPYR415 is only required where the fireworks contractor is endorsed for close proximity displays only. In this instance, it replaces CUAPYR413.
How to apply
Your application should include:
- Form E101 – Application for a fireworks contractor licence (PDF, 798KB)
- application fee (see below)
- supporting documents (as per the form's checklist).
Publicly listed corporations may also need to submit Form E114 – Nominated responsible person. Contact us to complete the form and submit it with your application.
Fees and payment options
Fees for fireworks contractor licences
|Licence class||Licence fee and period|
|Fireworks contractor licence||
$443.11 (excl. GST)|
3 years $1,329.33 (excl. GST)
Obligations of licence holders
As a fireworks contractor, you must ensure that all other people involved in the fireworks display (including the fireworks operator) are trained and competent.
You are required to notify us about your fireworks display.
Licence holders must comply with the terms of their licence, as well as the following codes of practice:
- Queensland code of practice: Control of outdoor fireworks displays (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Australian code for the transport of explosives by road and rail.