Fireworks operator licences
A fireworks operator is allowed to conduct displays only under the supervision of a fireworks contractor.
A fireworks operator licence allows you to use, possess, store and transport a limited quantity of fireworks for a fireworks display organised by a fireworks contractor.
A fireworks operator licence does not allow you to purchase fireworks.
The licence may limit the category and size of the fireworks display.
Note: To apply for a special effects (pyrotechnics) fireworks operator licence, please contact the Explosives Inspectorate.
Check the application form for a list of requirements, including requirements for security clearances for security-sensitive explosives (which includes fireworks and pyrotechnics), a medical assessment and competency requirements (see also below).
The competency requirements for different types of fireworks are shown in the table below.
In Queensland, Healthy Business Training Academy and Fireworks Australia (Importers) Pty Ltd are the only organisations approved to provide this training. Contact them to discuss your training requirements.
Competency requirements for fireworks operators and contractors
|Competency unit||Fireworks operators||Fireworks contractors|
|CUAPYR401 Manage health and safety requirements at fireworks displays||OD, CP, SC||_|
|CUAPYR402 Operate outdoor fireworks displays||OD||_|
|CUAPYR403 Plan outdoor fireworks display||_||OD, CP, SC|
|CUAPYR404 Operate close proximity fireworks displays||CP||_|
|CUAPYR405 Plan close proximity fireworks displays||_||CP1|
|Competency assessment by inspector||SC*||_|
- OD: Outdoor fireworks displays (including strings of crackers)
- CP: Close proximity
- SC: Strings of crackers
- *Course not yet available
- 1CUAPYR405 is only required where the fireworks contractor is endorsed for close proximity displays only. In this instance, it replaces CUAPYR403.
Note: To apply for a special effects (pyrotechnics) fireworks operator licence, contact the Explosives Inspectorate.
How to apply
Your application should include:
- Form E100 – Application for an occupational authority* (fireworks operator licence) (PDF, 699KB)
- application fee (see below)
- supporting documents (according to the form's checklist).
*Note: If you apply for an occupational authority, your biometric data (digital photo and signature) will be retained while your licence remains current. It will destroyed if your application is withdrawn or refused, or your licence expires.
Fees and payment options
Fees for fireworks operator licences
|Licence class||Licence fee and period|
|Fireworks operator licence||
$138.00 (excl. GST)|
3 years $414.00 (excl. GST)
Obligations of licence holders
Licence holders must comply with the terms of their licence, as well as the following codes of practice:
- Queensland code of practice: Control of outdoor fireworks displays (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Australian code for the transport of explosives by road and rail.
- Find out more about the industry by contacting a fireworks contractor, who may be able to provide work experience.
- Read the Queensland fireworks product safety code (PDF, 128KB).
- Read the Queensland fireworks product safety test standard (PDF, 700KB).
- View the list of approved fireworks testers in Queensland.