Specialised explosives uses
You must have a security clearance if you are applying for a licence or permit for a security-sensitive explosive.
A licence to use explosives covers specialised uses (as stated on the licence), including:
- dynamic breaching operations training
- explosives testing
- metal forming, and research and development
- official police duties
- fireworks testing
- down-hole perforating
- training purposes.
The licence allows you to use, purchase, store and transport the explosive in limited quantities.
A specific licence is available for those wanting to use, store and transport security-sensitive ammonium nitrate (SSAN) for agricultural purposes, production processes and laboratories.
Check the application form for a list of requirements and follow the links below for more information:
- Competency requirements for a licence to use explosives (PDF, 415KB)
- Medical assessments for explosives licences
- Safety and security management systems
- Security clearances for security-sensitive explosives
Publicly listed corporations must appoint a responsible person for explosives matters if they have not already done so.
How to apply
Your application should include:
- application form, either of:
- application fee (see below)
- supporting documents (according to the form's checklist).
*Note: If you apply for an occupational authority, your biometric data (digital photo and signature) will be retained while your licence remains current. It will destroyed if your application is withdrawn or refused, or your licence expires.
Fees and payment options
|Licence class||Licence period||Licence fee|
|Licence to use explosives||1 year||$65.05 (excl. GST)|
|5 years||$325.25 (excl. GST)|
- Last reviewed: 31 Jan 2020
- Last updated: 9 Jul 2021