Specialised explosives uses
A person must have a security clearance if applying for a licence or permit relating to security-sensitive explosives.
A licence to use explosives covers specialised uses (as stated on the licence), including:
- dynamic breaching operations training
- explosives testing
- metal forming, and research and development
- official police duties
- fireworks testing
- down-hole perforating
- training purposes.
The licence allows you to use, purchase, store and transport the explosive in limited quantities.
A specific licence is available for those wanting to use, store and transport security-sensitive ammonium nitrate (SSAN) for agricultural purposes, production processes and laboratories.
Check the application form for a list of requirements and follow the links below for more information:
- Competency requirements for a licence to use explosives (PDF, 415KB)
- Medical assessments for explosives licences
- Safety and security management systems
- Security clearances for security-sensitive explosives.
Publicly listed corporations must appoint a responsible person for explosives matters if they have not already done so.
How to apply
Your application should include:
- the relevant application form
- licence fee (see below)
- supporting documents (according to the required documentation on the application form).
*Note: If you apply for an occupational authority, your biometric data (digital photo and signature) will be retained while your licence remains current. It will be destroyed if your application is withdrawn or refused, or your licence expires.
Fees and payment options
Licence fees can only be paid via credit card (BPOINT) following submission of the online form. Read more about payment of licence fees.
|Licence class||Licence period||Licence fee|
|Licence to use explosives||1 year||$66.68 (excl. GST)|
|5 years||$333.40 (excl. GST)|
- Last reviewed: 31 Jan 2020
- Last updated: 6 Mar 2023
I want to...
Contact the Explosives Inspectorate