Licence fee information for explosives and fireworks

About licence fees

All licences and authorities (excluding permits) issued under the Explosives Act 1999 (Qld) have regulatory fees attached (fee unit amounts), which are calculated for each year of the licence period. The fee unit value is reviewed annually.

However, there is no fee for explosives permits.

Most licences are issued for 1 or 5 years. Fireworks operator and contractor licences are issued for 1 or 3 years.

We may issue licences for various categories, such as a licence to import explosives (blasting explosives and distress signals). If more than 1 category applies, you would pay only the higher licence fee.

Paying for your licence

Note: We do not accept credit card payments via email or fax.

For new licence applications, payment can only be made via credit card (BPOINT) immediately following submission of your online application

For renewal or alter applications for existing licences:

  • if you submit your application via email, payment is via credit card (BPOINT). A payment link will be forwarded via email after submission of a complete application
  • if you submit your application via post, payment is via either:

Post your application form and any attachments with your payment form to an Explosives Inspectorate office.

Obtaining refunds

We may refund fees for an application if:

  • the Chief Inspector of Explosives decides not to issue the licence
  • you're surrendering your licence partway through the term and the refund amount is for the unexpired part of the term (whole years).

Fees for specific licences

To see the fee amounts for specific licences, see the Information Bulletin 37 – Regulatory and security clearance fees or licensing information for particular sectors and activities.