Importing and exporting explosives

This information applies to the import and export of explosives under the Explosives Act 1999 where explosives are:

  • imported into Queensland from another country
  • or
  • exported to another country through sea ports and airports.

The import and export of explosives doesn't apply to:

  • an explosive that's part of the operational equipment of a road vehicle or boat, including airbags and distress signals that are part of the boat's safety equipment
  • explosives brought into Queensland from another Australian state or territory
  • explosives held in bond under the Customs Prohibited Export Regulation 1958.

A relevant licence or permit holder may import or export explosives if all the following apply:

  • they're reasonably satisfied that the explosive is in a safe condition for transporting
  • the explosive has been classified under the United Nations model regulations or another classification system approved by the Chief Inspector. Evidence of classification and test results from a recognised testing authority may be required
  • the packaging is marked with the correct classification code for the explosive
  • the explosive is an authorised explosive
  • the explosive is packaged, marked and labelled as required under either
    • the Australian explosives code
    • or
    • the Australian dangerous goods code
  • they can provide a safety data sheet for the explosive when asked by an inspector
  • they have taken reasonable steps to ensure the explosive will function as designed to. Steps include documentation to demonstrate compliance with specifications, testing, sampling, performance and other regulatory requirements, which are included in the importer's safety management system.

This guide covers how to apply for a licence or permit to import or export explosives, your obligations as a licence or permit holder, as well as other specific requirements and how to handle explosives at sea ports and airports.

Also consider...