A person must not transport an explosive in a vehicle unless you hold the required authority.
The following explosives licences authorise the transport of limited amounts of explosives without a separate licence to transport explosives:
- licence to use explosives (maximum 250kg blasting explosives)
- shotfirer licence (maximum 250kg blasting explosives)
- fireworks contractor licence (maximum 250kg fireworks)
- fireworks operator licence (maximum 250kg fireworks)
- licence to collect ammunition (unlimited amount of collectors' ammunition).
However, to transport larger amounts of explosives, or explosives not covered by these licences, a licence to transport explosives will be required.
A person who drives a vehicle that is licensed to transport explosives must hold an explosives driver's licence.
This guide explains the licensing requirements and how to apply. It also includes information on insurance requirements and vehicle safety.
- Last reviewed: 31 Jan 2020
- Last updated: 12 Sep 2022
I want to...
Contact the Explosives Inspectorate