Explosives driver licences

On 1 February 2020, Queensland introduced a new licence for the transport of explosives, aligning with requirements in other states.

Who needs an explosives driver licence

If you drive a vehicle that's licensed to transport explosives, you'll need to obtain an explosives driver licence unless 1 of the exceptions below applies.


You don't need an explosives driver licence if you:

  • have another licence that authorises the transport of the explosives (e.g. shotfirer licence, licence to use, licence to manufacture explosives for a mobile manufacturing unit, or fireworks operator licence) – refer to Part 9 of the Explosives Regulation 2017 for conditions
  • are transporting low-risk explosives such as marine flares – refer to Information Bulletin 51 – Transport of low risk loads of explosives (you may need a licence that authorises you to possess the explosives)
  • hold an interstate explosives driver licence (only if the driver is undertaking a single direct interstate journey)
  • are employed to work at a mine and are transporting the explosive at the mine in the course of your employment.

New employees must apply for an explosives driver licence before they begin driving.

Application requirements

To obtain a licence, you'll need to meet these requirements.

Age requirements

You need to be 21 years or older to apply.

Driving qualifications and history

To be eligible, you will need:

  • a valid driver licence for the class of vehicle you are driving
  • evidence of your driving history
  • evidence that you have completed the relevant units of competency with a registered training organisation.

Driving history

The evidence of your driving history should:

  • cover at least the past 5 years (or the entire period you've held your licence if you've been driving for less than 5 years)
  • be issued within 30 days of applying
  • be issued by the agency that issued your valid driver licence (e.g. Transport and Main Roads in Queensland). If you've held licences in more than 1 jurisdiction within the last 5 years, provide a report from each jurisdiction.

Queensland drivers can apply for a transport history report online.

For a Class 1 Category 3 explosives driver licence, you must also provide a written statement from a current or previous employer showing that you have performed 50 hours under the direct supervision of a driver experienced in the transport of explosives.

Driver training

You must have completed the relevant units of competency (PDF, 88KB) with a registered training organisation within 3 years of applying for your explosives driver licence.

Security clearances

You will need to hold a security clearance to be issued an explosives driver licence.

Medical fitness to drive

You will need to provide a current medical certificate for motor vehicle driver (F3712).

How to apply

Your application should include:

*Note: If you apply for an occupational authority, your biometric data (digital photo and signature) will be retained while your licence remains current. It will be destroyed if your application is withdrawn or refused, or your licence expires.

Fees and payment options

Licence fees can only be paid via credit card (BPOINT) following submission of the online form. Read more about payment options.

Fees for explosives driver licences

Licence class Licence fee and period

Explosives driver licence

1 year    $68.95 (excl. GST)
5 years  $344.75 (excl. GST)

Obligations of licence holders

As a holder of an explosives driver licence, your obligations include:

Also consider…