Licence eligibility and general obligations for explosives and fireworks


You're eligible for an explosives licence or permit if you:

  • are an adult
    • 21 years of age for an explosives driver licence
    • 18 years of age for all other licences or permits
  • are physically able to conduct the nominated explosives activities
  • have the knowledge and training to do the work competently.

You must have a security clearance if you are applying for a licence or permit related to activities involving a security-sensitive explosive.

Who needs a licence or permit?

In Queensland, you need a licence or permit to:

Permits are issued for single-use, non-commercial activities related to importing and exporting explosives, and storing explosives (other than in a government reserve).

There is no fee for permits.

Appointing a responsible person

Publicly listed corporations must appoint a responsible person for explosives matters and this person must hold a security clearance (the responsible person may be a director of the corporation).

You only need to nominate the responsible person once (not with every application). If the responsible person leaves the company or no longer holds a security clearance, then the nomination must be updated.

To nominate a responsible person when submitting a new licence application, complete the applicable nominated responsible person's details on the form (E114 is not required). Note, if the company is not a listed corporation, the application may be refused.

To update or replace a nominated person in relation to an existing licence(s), contact us to complete Form E114 – Nominated responsible person.

General obligations for licence holders

All licence and permit holders have obligations under the Explosives Act 1999. Regardless of your licence or permit type, you must keep the explosives secure and use them safely.

You must also:

  • notify the Explosives Inspectorate when a significant explosives incident occurs
  • ensure your licence is current
  • comply with the licence conditions
  • use only explosives that are authorised or approved
  • keep records.