Queensland Government explosives reserves and security

We have put aside large areas of land known as 'explosives reserves' for the safe storage, distribution and disposal of explosives.

Individuals and companies can use the government explosives reserves if they hold the appropriate licences issued by the Chief Inspector of Explosives. Other government entities with vested interests in the safety and security of explosives, and protecting the community, also use the reserves.

To arrange to use a government explosives reserve, contact the manager of the reserve.

Anyone intending to store explosives at a government magazine is required to lodge a request using the Request to store explosives at a government magazine form.

Note: A full range of services may not be available at all government reserves. Check with the manager of the reserve first.

About the reserves

There are 4 explosives reserves (or 'magazines'), each located near a port:

  • Bajool (near Port Alma)
  • Brookhill (near Townsville)
  • Helidon (near Brisbane)
  • Queerah (near Cairns).

The services provided by explosives reserves include:

  • secure explosives storehouses
  • incinerators for disposing of explosives
  • testing and demolition ranges
  • explosives workshops
  • a weighbridge (at Bajool only)
  • transit storage areas
  • container stuffing/de-stuffing areas
  • ammonium nitrate storage pads
  • transit explosives vehicle areas
  • storage of explosives as evidence for Queensland Police or the inspectorate
  • storing seized explosives
  • collection and pickup service for unwanted explosives
  • demonstration of the power of explosives
  • law enforcement agency training.

Benefits of using a government reserve

The benefits of using government reserves include having:

  • centralised, secure storage depots for the large quantities of explosives that mining and construction industries use
  • inspection and testing facilities to control the safety of products
  • the ability to monitor all aspects of distribution and handling (ensuring only those operations of acceptable standards are permitted)
  • facilities that enable effective responses to critical situations, such as impounded explosives, deteriorated explosives and court exhibits
  • competitive supplies of explosives available (an independent service to all explosives manufacturers, suppliers and users)
  • explosives facilities situated next to the government reserves, minimising the risk to the community.

Security access cards for reserves

You must hold a security access card to enter secure areas of government explosives reserves unsupervised on authorised business.

If you have a security card, you must comply with all reserve site rules. You cannot disclose confidential information about reserve operations to anyone outside the reserve, including unauthorised members of your company.

Each reserve manages the issue of security access cards, site inductions for the reserve and ongoing access. You may use your access card only at the reserve that issued it to you.

Security check

When you apply for a security access card, the Explosives Inspectorate conducts a security assessment. The assessment remains current until the card is cancelled. The Explosives Inspectorate rechecks your security status every 3 years.

A security access card is issued to the employee of a licence holder. Information about the use of the access card can be provided to the licence holder. The access card remains the property of the reserve and can be revoked at any time.

Apply for or renew a security access card

To apply for or renew an access card, provide the relevant reserve administration office with a:

  • letter from your employer stating that an access pass is essential for authorised business activities within the reserve
  • completed security assessment application form for an access card for the reserve.

You will then need to pay the required fee. Ask the reserve staff about payment methods.

Note: If your card isn't issued within 6 weeks, contact the Explosives Inspectorate.

Fees for using a government reserve

We review and update the fees for using a government reserve on 1 July each year, in line with CPI increases. We raise invoices monthly and services attract GST.

Acceptable methods of payment are cheque, money order, credit card or electronic funds transfer (EFT). You'll need to arrange with staff at the government reserve before making payment via EFT.

Also consider...