Obligations of licence holders
Licence holders must store their explosives in accordance with:
- Australian Standard AS 2187.1 for class 1 explosives
- Explosives information bulletin 53 for security-sensitive ammonium nitrate
- AEISG Code of practice - Storage and handling of UN3375 - Edition 4 May 2017 (PDF, 2.4MB)
- an alternative safety measure for the 3 types of explosives above
- a safety measure approved by the Chief Inspector for explosives other than those mentioned above.
Licence holders must:
- take reasonable precautions to prevent and minimise the likely effects of an explosives incident
- have a safety management system and a security management system.
If you hold a licence or permit to store explosives, you must keep the licence or permit, or a copy of the licence or permit, at the storage facility.
Explosives may only be provided to a person who is authorised to possess the explosive.
You must also:
- conduct inspections at least every 3 months and keep records of these inspections
- keep a record of explosives received at, or supplied to a person from, a storage facility for your authority. Records must include the type and amount of explosive received or supplied, and the day and time they were received or supplied
- record the name of the person who was supplied with the explosives and details of their licence or permit allowing them to possess the explosives
- record the amount of explosives stored in the facility immediately after the receipt or supply
- conduct stocktakes to determine the amount of explosives stored in a facility and identify any discrepancies. If you identify any discrepancies, you must properly investigate it and then give the Chief Inspector a written report stating the discrepancy, the findings of the investigation and the measures you've taken to stop it reoccurring
- give the Chief Inspector notice of any material change to a storage facility or the facility's surrounding area if you know that the change increases the risk associated with the facility.
- Read more about collecting ammunition.
- Last reviewed: 1 Sep 2017
- Last updated: 16 Aug 2018
I want to...
Contact the Explosives Inspectorate