Requirements of fireworks contractors and operators
Qualifications of a fireworks contractor
To qualify as a fireworks contractor, you must:
- be at least 21 years old
- have at least 3 years' experience and conducted at least 40 fireworks displays as a fireworks operator for various display types and sizes
- be competent and have completed an approved course of training as a fireworks contractor
- have sufficient public liability insurance
- have a safety and security management system for all fireworks activities to be undertaken.
A fireworks contractor must have a system that incorporates and demonstrates knowledge of the categories of fireworks display listed on their licence, namely:
- outdoor fireworks displays
- close proximity fireworks displays
- strings of crackers
- special effects (pyrotechnics) before a proximate audience.
Fireworks contractors must be competent at:
- being a fireworks operator
- choosing suitable fireworks display sites
- conducting fireworks displays
- identifying hazards and risks, and analysing, assessing and managing risk
- developing and applying a safety and security management system
- work health and safety
- organisational management.
As a fireworks contractor, you must also ensure that all other people involved in the fireworks display (including the fireworks operator) are trained and competent.
Fireworks contractors must notify the Explosives Inspectorate:
- of any fireworks display at least 7 days before it's staged using the Fireworks display notification form
- within 7 days after the fireworks display is staged using the Fireworks post-display notification form.
Qualifications of a fireworks operator
To qualify as a fireworks operator, you must:
- be an adult
- be physically able to perform the duties of a fireworks operator
- be medically fit to the standards of commercial vehicle drivers for dangerous goods
- hold a current first aid certificate
- have completed a training course for outdoor fireworks displays or be able to demonstrate that you're competent for other fireworks categories
- have demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislation and the listed categories of fireworks displays on your licence:
- Learn about hosting a fireworks display.
- Read the Queensland code of practice for control of outdoor fireworks displays.
- Read the Bray Park fireworks tragedy investigation report (20 May 2000) (PDF, 144KB).
- Read the Queensland fireworks product safety code: edition 1.
- Read the Queensland fireworks product safety test standard: edition 1.
- See the list of approved fireworks testers in Queensland.
- Read about the safety and health levy for explosives and fireworks.