Requirements of fireworks contractors and operators

Outdoor fireworks during fire bans

On Friday 22 November 2019, the Minister for Fire and Emergency Services revoked the Declaration of State of Fire Emergency in Queensland. However, fire bans are still in place in many local government areas.

Where total fire bans are in place, no outdoor fireworks display should proceed without prior consultation with the local fire warden. All fireworks contractors must:

  1. Notify the Explosives Inspectorate and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services.
  2. Check the locations of total fire bans.
  3. Contact the local fire warden (if necessary).

Qualifications of a fireworks contractor

To qualify as a fireworks contractor, you must:

  • be at least 21 years old
  • have at least 3 years' experience and conducted at least 40 fireworks displays as a fireworks operator for various display types and sizes
  • be competent and have completed an approved course of training as a fireworks contractor
  • have sufficient public liability insurance
  • have a safety and security management system for all fireworks activities to be undertaken.

A fireworks contractor must have a system that incorporates and demonstrates knowledge of the categories of fireworks display listed on their licence, namely:

Fireworks contractors must be competent at:

  • being a fireworks operator
  • choosing suitable fireworks display sites
  • conducting fireworks displays
  • identifying hazards and risks, and analysing, assessing and managing risk
  • developing and applying a safety and security management system
  • work health and safety
  • organisational management.

As a fireworks contractor, you must also ensure that all other people involved in the fireworks display (including the fireworks operator) are trained and competent.

Fireworks contractors must notify the Explosives Inspectorate:

Also, read more information about submitting a display site plan (PDF, 158KB).

Qualifications of a fireworks operator

To qualify as a fireworks operator, you must:

  • be an adult
  • be physically able to perform the duties of a fireworks operator
  • be medically fit to the standards of commercial vehicle drivers for dangerous goods
  • hold a current first aid certificate
  • have completed a training course for outdoor fireworks displays or be able to demonstrate that you're competent for other fireworks categories
  • have demonstrated knowledge of relevant legislation and the listed categories of fireworks displays on your licence:

Also consider...