Penalties for allowing under-age drinking and minors on licensed premises
On licensed premises (or on a street or place adjacent to licensed premises such as the area around bottle shops), minors cannot be:
- sold liquor
- supplied liquor or allowed to be supplied liquor
- allowed to consume liquor.
It is also an offence for a minor to be on licensed premises unless they are an 'exempt minor'. Licensees and staff are required to ensure that non-exempt minors are not on the premises and to remove them from the venue as soon as they are found.
Both the licensed venue and the minor can be penalised for breaching the law.
The penalties listed below are current as at 1 July. The values change each year on this date.
Penalties for selling alcohol to a minor
Selling alcohol to a minor
$35,937 for the licensee, permit holder or approved manager
$11,500 for any other person
Supplying or allowing the supply of alcohol to a minor
Allowing a minor to drink alcohol
Allowing non-exempt minors to enter or remain on the premises
$14,375 for the licensee, permit holder, another person in control of the premises or any employee
Read more about penalties for irresponsible service of alcohol.
Penalties for minors
Penalties apply for the minor too, so by removing them from the premises you are doing them a favour!
Attempting to enter a licensed premises after being refused
Refusing to leave a licensed premises
Being on licensed premises when not exempt
Drinking alcohol on licensed premises
To learn more, read our penalties for allowing minors on premises and under-age drinking guide.
- Download our 'Follow the law' posters and LCD images.
- Read more about penalties for irresponsible service of alcohol.
- Learn more about responsible service of alcohol (RSA) training.
- Read about responsible service of gambling (RSG) training.
- Subscribe to the Inside Liquor and Gaming newsletter.
- Contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
1300 072 322
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3738 8622