Take our survey to help us provide the best possible support to your small business during COVID-19 and beyond.
Responsible service of gambling (RSG) training
It is mandatory for certain people involved in Queensland's liquor and gaming industries to have the appropriate certification in the responsible service of gambling (RSG).
RSG certification and course delivery
The required certification in Queensland is a Statement of Attainment, issued on completion of the national training package competency Provide Responsible Gambling Services.
As a competency within a national training package, the Provide Responsible Gambling Services course, may only be delivered by a registered training organisation (RTO).
Becoming RSG certified for the first time
If you need to obtain an RSG Statement of Attainment for the first time, please contact your nearest RTO to become certified in Provide Responsible Gambling Services. Once obtained, this certification does not expire.
Holding an existing OLGR-issued RSG certification
If you (or your staff) completed RSG training prior to 30 June 2013, your OLGR-approved RSG certificate will expire 3 years from the date of issue.
However, as the former OLGR-sanctioned RSG course included the national training package competency, you may have also been issued the Statement of Attainment in Provide Responsible Gambling Services at the same time. Please check your records, then see below.
I have a Statement of Attainment
A Statement of Attainment does not expire once obtained, even though the code identifying this course (currently, SITHGAM001) regularly changes. This means that if you hold a Statement of Attainment for Provide Responsible Gambling Services from anytime in the past, it remains current irrespective of the course code.
I don't have a Statement of Attainment
If you did not receive a Statement of Attainment in Provide Responsible Gambling Services at that time, prior to your OLGR certificate expiring you must complete the national training package competency, Provide Responsible Gambling Services. Please contact your nearest RTO in order to remain RSG certified.
RSG training for staff
Licensees are responsible for ensuring that all staff involved in gaming duties or tasks have the appropriate certification. Penalties apply for licensees who fail to comply.
People who carry out gaming duties or gaming tasks within a licensed club or hotel must complete RSG training within 3 months of starting employment. These include:
- an eligible licensee (an individual licensee who is at the licensed premises when it is open for the conduct of gaming)
- a gaming nominee
- any person performing gaming duties or tasks.
Staff are performing a gaming duty or task if they:
- supervise employees who are responsible for the conduct of gaming
- supervise the access to the internal parts of the gaming machine
- supervise money clearances
- issue keys for the security of gaming machines to employees
- supervise entries in accounting records required to be maintained under the Gaming Machine Act 1991
- arrange repairs to gaming equipment
- perform or witness payouts over $500 (as the designated gaming employee)
- prepare self-exclusion orders/exclusion direction
- make an entry in Form 3G: Register of excluded persons
- prepare a Form 3R: Report on excluded persons
- prepare a Form 3H: Notice of contravention.
RSG training register
All licensees are required to keep an up-to-date training register that contains:
- copies of the current OLGR training course certificates or Statements of Attainment for staff
- the expiry date of the OLGR training course certificates
- information on training staff involved in the service or supply of liquor at the licensed premises.
This register must be made available at the premises for inspection by an OLGR compliance officer or Queensland Police Service officers.
- Last reviewed: 24 Jun 2019
- Last updated: 19 Aug 2020
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
1300 072 322
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3738 8556