Application process for resource authorities

Changes to regulation that protect the Lake Eyre Basin may impact your petroleum lease applications.

Rent reduction for minerals exploration

The rent reduction for exploration permits for minerals (EPMs) announced under the Queensland Critical Minerals Strategy commences on 1 September 2023 and ends on 31 August 2028.

Current invoices remain due and payable.

Read more information about Zero rent for exploration permits for minerals.

Depending on the type of resource authority you are seeking, you can apply in response to a call for tender or by direct application.

Our guides on mineral and coal authorities, petroleum and gas authorities, geothermal authorities, and greenhouse gas storage authorities have details of how to apply.

A prerequisite exploration authority is generally required for advanced exploration and production authorities, unless you are applying for these by tender.

Preparing your application

We have a range of maps, publications, data and online services to help you research your application.

When you apply for a resource authority, you must describe the area you are applying for. For petroleum leases, mining leases, mining claims and mineral development licences, you can supply a shapefile for this purpose. Visit policies and guidelines to download a shapefile guide and templates.

When you apply for a resource authority, you will need to show that you have the financial and technical capability to ensure your planned activities are sufficiently funded. Read the Financial and technical capability guide (PDF, 220KB) for information on requirements.

When you apply for most resource authorities you will need to detail your proposed activities. For instructions, read our guide to development plans and work programs.

Before we can grant a resource authority, you must hold the appropriate environmental authority (EA). You should apply for an EA after you have applied for your resource authority.

The Queensland Government is making changes to the way you lodge environmental authority (EA) applications.

From 8 December 2018, coal and mineral EA applications will no longer be accepted via MyMinesOnline and must be lodged directly with the Department of Environment, Science and Innovation.

Important: If your project meets the conditions of a small-scale mining activity, you may not need an environmental authority.

The Queensland Government must comply with national native title requirements when granting resource authorities. If you lodge your application online through MyMinesOnline, the system indicates which land is subject to native title and triggers a native title process. Otherwise, you can do your own research using GeoResGlobe.

The Regional Planning Interests Act 2014 protects certain high-value living, agricultural or environmental areas. A regional interests development approval may be required if you are proposing a resource activity in 1 of these areas.

To be eligible to apply, you must be a person over 18, a company or a government-owned corporation.

Lodging your application

Many direct applications can be lodged online using MyMinesOnline and all can be lodged using hard-copy forms. When applying through a call for tenders, you must follow the instructions in the tender document.

The MyMinesOnline system is used by more than 800 mineral, gas and petroleum companies to safely and securely apply for and manage a diverse range of complex resource authorities. The system provides greater visibility of the application, assessment and management process and supports quicker decision making for all applications.

Application processing times

The time it takes to process applications depends on a number of factors, including the tenure type, the regulatory requirements and the complexity of the application. View data on our application numbers and processing times.

Financial security

As part of your application, you will be required to pay a security deposit and financial provisioning.

Rents and royalties

Depending on the authority you are applying for, you will need to pay the rent for the first year, either before the grant of the authority or within 20 business days of the grant.

Zero rent arrangements apply to EPMs from 1 September 2023 until 31 August 2028. See the Zero rent for exploration permits for minerals page for more details.

Notifying the public

You must publish a notice of your application in an approved printed or digital newspaper that circulates in the area where your licence will be located.

You can also place your notice in an online publication.

This notice informs the public and various interest groups that you're making an application. They'll then have an opportunity to seek more information or submit objections for consideration either in the Land Court or by the Minister.

For mining leases: you must notify landholders and local governments that may be directly impacted.

Newspaper publication

The preferred methods for publishing public notices in a newspaper are:

  1. A printed regional newspaper in the area where your licence will be located.
  2. A digital regional newspaper, if no printed regional option is available.
  3. A printed or digital state-wide newspaper (for example, the Courier Mail or Queensland Country Life) if no regional print or digital option is available.

For a point-to-point petroleum pipeline licences: you must publish a notification in a state-wide newspaper. This is required under the Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004.

Online publication

You can also publish the details of the application in a clear and prominent place on your website. The Department of Resources will also publish the application details on this Business Queensland website.

Contact an assessment hub

Contact the relevant assessment hub for more information.

Mineral Assessment Hub

Coal Assessment Hub

Petroleum Assessment Hub

Complying with your authority

If your authority is granted, you must comply with the requirements attached to your authority as well as a range of general obligations.