Landholder compensation for mining claims and mining leases

Before a mining claim, mining lease or access to either tenure can be granted, compensation for landholders has to be settled. This can be either:

  • agreed between the parties in a formal compensation agreement
  • or
  • determined by the Land Court.

This guide explains the requirements for compensation agreements and suggests ways to negotiate a satisfactory agreement. More detail is available in A guide to landholder compensation for mining claims and mining leases (PDF, 2MB).

Seeking expert assistance

This guide does not provide legal advice. You should obtain independent advice from a solicitor before signing any agreement. We also recommend you obtain advice from your accountant about tax and GST issues related to any compensation payments you receive.


General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)