Petroleum and gas authorities

An appropriate resource authority is required before you can conduct any exploration or production activity for petroleum and gas in Queensland.

These are issued under Queensland's Petroleum and Gas (Production and Safety) Act 2004.

Petroleum and gas authorities are issued for:

  • exploration - authority to prospect, potential commercial area and petroleum lease
  • production - petroleum lease
  • infrastructure development - petroleum facility licence and petroleum pipeline licence
  • information gathering - petroleum survey licence, water monitoring authority and data acquisition authority.

This guide describes the types of resource authorities that are granted and administered under the Act, their main features and how to apply.