Keno is an electronically-determined, high frequency, number-based game typically played in clubs, casinos and hotels. A player chooses a set of numbers and bets that their chosen numbers will match any of the 20 numbers randomly selected (from a group of 80 numbers) by a computer system or a ball-drawing device.
Keno licensing is regulated in Queensland by the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation.
Keno operates under the following legislation:
Major licence holder
Keno (QLD) Pty Ltd is the exclusive Keno licensee in Queensland.
Licences for Keno (QLD) employees
A Keno employee licence is required by anyone employed by an organisation licensed to conduct Keno in Queensland (currently Keno (QLD) Pty Ltd) and has work duties relating to the conduct of Keno games.
Alternatively, employees of hotels and clubs are not required to hold a Keno employee licence to sell tickets or make payouts for Keno games because they are not considered employees of the major licence holder.
This licence is also required by anyone identified as a key operator for a Keno licensee. This includes anyone who either:
- is able to exercise significant influence over the Keno licensee's operations
- has a paid position, policy-making position, or authority over the Keno licensee's operations, who in the public interest must be a licensed Keno employee.
Find out how to apply for a Keno employee licence on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).
Alternatively, you can also apply using the application for liquor and gaming individual licences online form.
Resources for Keno licensees
Code of practice
- Read about the technical requirements for Keno equipment.
- Check the fees and charges for Queensland gaming licensing.
- Find out more about gaming rules, including the rights and obligations of both the player and licensed gaming operator.
- Read how penalties for late payment of liquor licence fees affect gaming licensees.
- Last reviewed: 13 Jan 2020
- Last updated: 4 Feb 2020
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
1300 072 322
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3738 8622