Casino licensing in Queensland is a complex process. Usually the Queensland Government will call for submissions by placing an advertisement worldwide, calling for expression of interest.
A comprehensive brief to applicants document is issued to interested parties. Submissions must contain information on the organisation wishing to establish the casino. After the government has selected a preferred applicant, negotiations will begin with completion of the casino complex and the awarding of the licence usually taking some years to finalise.
Casinos operate under the following legislation:
- Casino Control Act 1982
- Casino Control Regulation 1999
- Casino Gaming Rule 2010
- Liquor Act 1992
- Liquor Regulation 2002
- Queen's Wharf Brisbane Act 2016
- Cairns Casino Agreement Act 1993
- Breakwater Island Casino Agreement Act 1984
- Brisbane Casino Agreement Act 1992
- Jupiters Casino Agreement Act 1983.
Casino licence holders
- Breakwater Island Limited (The Ville Resort - Casino)
- Destination Brisbane Consortium Integrated Resort Operations Pty Ltd (The Star, Brisbane)
- The Star Entertainment QLD Custodian Pty Ltd (The Star Gold Coast)
- The Star Entertainment QLD Limited (Treasury Brisbane)
- Reef Corporate Services Limited (Reef Hotel Casino)
Licences for casino employees
Casino employee licence
Find out how to apply for a casino employee licence on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).
Casino key employee licence
Find out how to apply for a casino key employee licence on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).
Resources for casino licensees
Code of practice
- Check the fees and charges for Queensland gaming licensing.
- Read about the technical requirements for casino equipment.
- Find out more about gaming rules, including the rights and obligations of both the player and licensed gaming operator.
- Find out how penalties for late payment of liquor licence fees affect gaming licensees.
- Last reviewed: 23 Aug 2018
- Last updated: 23 Aug 2018
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Licence and permit enquiries
- Gaming compliance enquiries
- Liquor compliance enquiries
- Media enquiries (07) 3738 8556