Minors working on licensed premises

It's illegal for unaccompanied minors (under 18s) to be on licensed premises unless they're exempt minors.

Children under 18 can work in licensed premises (including restaurants, bars, clubs and hotels) as long as the premises doesn't operate under an adult entertainment permit.

The Child Employment Regulation 2016 also requires that minors can't:

  • be employed in licensed premises that feature activities like topless waiting
  • work while nude or partially nude
  • be exposed to inappropriate situations, including being present while another person is nude or partially nude in the workplace.

Responsible service of alcohol training

All staff, including minors, who serve or supply alcohol must have a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. They must get their certificate within 30 days of starting employment.

Read more about RSA training and certification.

Also consider...