Who can hold a water licence

To hold a water licence in Queensland, as defined in section 104 of the Water Act 2000, you need to be either:

  • an owner of land
  • a prescribed entity.

If you are considering applying for a water licence or participating in an unallocated water release process, you need to be eligible to hold a water licence.

Prescribed entities

A prescribed entity can apply for a water licence as long as they don't own the land attached to the licence, as defined in section 104 of the Act.

To become a prescribed entity, under the regulation, you need to make a request in writing to the Chief Executive of the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water. Contact 13 QGOV for more information regarding this process.

Your request should include the following information:

  • why a water licence is required
  • the location(s) where a water licence may be required
  • short-term and future requirements for obtaining a water licence
  • project and/or development information to support the requirement for a water licence
  • evidence of legal status (i.e. if you are a company, you must provide evidence of registration of a company under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cwlth)).

Your request to become a prescribed entity will initially be considered by the Chief Executive. You will be contacted if further information is required to make a decision.

In order for a successful request to be finalised, the entity must be prescribed by being listed in Schedule 4 of the Water Regulation 2016. This process requires Governor in Council approval and timeframes may vary. Once listed you may apply for a water licence as a prescribed entity.