The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Consumer piping using proprietary systems
Gas fitters installing consumer piping (particularly proprietary systems such as multilayer/composite pipe systems) must ensure the installation complies with AS5601.1. This includes ensuring the multilayer (or composite) pipe system is installed in accordance with the manufacturer's relevant instructions.
Identification and approval
- Verify that the brand of pipe you use is approved in accordance with AS5601.1 Table 4.1. This should be prominently displayed on the pipe and fittings.
- Gas fitters should display the manufacturer's label showing the proprietary system used and location of tee near the gas supply (natural gas meter or Liquefied Petroleum Gas cylinder).
- Gas fitters should clearly identify the proprietary system used and the location of the tee on the Gas System Compliance Certificate and Gas System Compliance Plate for the installation.
- Do not install multilayer pipes where it is exposed to UV rays (direct sunlight).
- If multilayer pipe could be exposed to UV rays it must be permanently protected.
- Painting multilayer pipe is not an acceptable method of UV protection.
Protection from damage
- Do not install multilayer pipe where it may be subject to damage such as damage from lawn edgers, mowers, vehicles, hot surfaces, sharp edges or possible penetration.
- Be aware that the pipe size markings on multilayer pipe refer to the outside diameter. A 20mm OD pipe may only have an internal bore of 16mm due to the wall thickness. Different brands of pipe will have different flow rates due to different internal bore diameter and fittings.
- Gas fitters must check flow rates when designing consumer piping to avoid variations in pressure. It is recommended that gas fitters oversize the consumer piping installation rather than just size it which will also allow for future appliance changes.
Mismatching different proprietary systems
- Be aware that different proprietary systems brands of pipe are not interchangeable. You must not interchange fittings, pipework or jointing methods for the different brands of pipe.
- Each manufacturer will provide relevant instructions for their product. Gas fitters must ensure the proprietary system is installed in accordance with the manufacturer's relevant instructions.
- Gas fitters must provide reversion fittings in a reasonably accessible position as per AS5601.1 Section 5.2.13.
Depth of cover
- Consumer piping installed underground must be as per AS5601.1 Section 5.4.
- The location of underground consumer piping must be clearly marked and recorded on the Gas System Compliance Certificate and Gas System Compliance Plate.
- Read more about petroleum and gas legislative requirements, standards and codes.
- Last reviewed: 13 Aug 2018
- Last updated: 16 Aug 2018