Best practice for controlling noise at your venue

Licensees without noise related conditions on their licence may like to use the checklist below to ensure their venue does not become a neighbourhood problem.


  • Are the doors and windows closed during entertainment?
  • Are the speakers facing away from your neighbours?
  • Can you utilise another area of your premises away from your neighbours?
  • Is there a soundlock on the entry to the entertainment area?
  • Is the type of entertainment suitable to the structure at the premises?
  • Have you walked outside and listened for noise from your premises? (If you can make out the actual words to a song, the entertainment is too loud.)
  • Can you hear the bass noise clearly when outside the venue? This type of noise will impact heavily on neighbours; consider adjusting the bass levels.
  • Have you considered installing a sound limiting device? (See your licence conditions for your maximum allowable noise limit.)
  • Have you investigated whether double glazing may help with noise control?
  • Has an acoustic consultant assessed your noise levels and provided you with a report?


  • Is it necessary to run motors all night (e.g. refrigerators)?
  • Are all motors adequately maintained?
  • Can motors be baffled or repositioned away from neighbours?


  • Are signs in place requesting patrons be mindful of the neighbourhood?
  • Do you have adequate security and lighting in external areas, such as car parks? This will discourage loitering when patrons leave the premises.
  • Do you have security monitoring the areas external to your premises at closing time to manage patrons?
  • Can you reposition the cab rank away from your neighbours?

Engage an acoustic consultant

It is best practice to engage an acoustic consultant to assess the impact of noise associated with your licensed venue and to ensure your venue does not negatively impact on the amenity of the local community.

Acoustic consultants can assess your noise levels and provide you with a recommendation to guide you on reducing your noise levels to ensure you comply with the law.

Use the list of acoustic consultants to find a consultant familiar with the noise requirements outlined in the Liquor Act 1992 and Liquor Regulation 2002.

Acoustic consultants should familiarise themselves with Guideline 50: Guideline for acoustic consultants.

Also consider...


General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

  • Licence and permit enquiries

1300 072 322

  • Gaming compliance enquiries

  • Liquor compliance enquiries

  • Media enquiries (07) 3738 8622