Apply for a high risk work (HRW) licence

Find upcoming events for the work health and safety community.

To obtain a high risk work (HRW) licence, you will need to apply to Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ). HRW licences are renewable and photographic.

A person wishing to obtain a HRW licence must undertake:

  1. formal training – provided by a registered training organisation (RTO) with approval to deliver the particular course competency.
  2. informal training – workplace training under the supervision of someone holding the relevant HRW licence, which may include a log book.
  3. formal assessment – an assessment conducted by an accredited assessor to determine competency to obtain the particular licence.

Interstate residents seeking a Queensland HRW licence

Interstate applications will be considered when:

  • the applicant lives close to a location in Queensland where a HRW application can be made (for example border locations such as Tweed Heads)
  • the applicant lives interstate but their primary place of work is Queensland - this includes fly in fly out workers. These applicants must provide evidence that they are fly in fly out workers either through a letter from their employer or a statutory declaration form
  • the applicant works for a national company that has a commercial arrangement with an RTO that provides the training and assessment in Queensland. These applicants must provide evidence of the commercial arrangement through a letter from their employer.

Interstate applicants must complete their training and assessment in Queensland and lodge their HRW licence application in Queensland.

High risk work (HRW) licence application process

  1. Find an RTO offering training for a HRW licence class.
  2. Complete both formal training and informal learning through an RTO.
  3. Contact the RTO and book in a theory and practical assessment. Assessors are required to provide WHSQ 3 business days notice prior to conducting any assessment. Successful applicants will receive an assessment summary (AS1) from the accredited assessor and a statement of attainment from the RTO.
  4. Within 60 days of a successful assessment, apply for a high risk work (HRW) licence or add a new licence class on an existing HRW licence by completing an online application form (or go to the Worksafe 'Online services' drop down menu).
  5. To apply you must have:

    • an AS1 form - an assessment summary issued by a Queensland accredited assessor
    • a QGov account (an email address is required to create an account).

    It is also recommended you have:

    • your existing Queensland HRW licence (if applying to add an additional class)
    • any interstate HRW licences you hold, with the classes you want transferred to your Queensland HRW licence. To be eligible for transfer, interstate licences must be photographic and cannot be expired more than 12 months
    • additional AS1 forms, issued by a Queensland accredited assessor, for classes that you wish to apply for (you must apply within 60 days of the assessment date)
    • one of the following Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) identifications:
      • Queensland issued drivers licence
      • adult proof of age card (18+ card)
      • marine licence indicator card
      • industry authority card.

      Note: if you do not hold one of the above TMR identifications you will need to attend a TMR Customer Service Centre to have your identification created. You will need to present 3 evidence of identity (EOI) documents as defined by the Department of Transport and Main Roads. You can still apply if you don't have one of these. Learn more about evidence of identity.

  6. Payment can be made by:
    • credit card
    • BPAY (biller code and reference number will be provided at the end of the application process).

    Note: application fees are non-refundable.

    If you have made an application within the initial 60 days, retain the assessment summary from your application and your AS1 form as evidence that you can lawfully perform work in the relevant class of high risk pending a decision on your application.

    An application fee is payable for each new licence class.

Find out more about work health and safety licensing.

Also consider...

  • Find an RTO in Queensland who can deliver training and assessment for high risk work licences.