Registering a residential service

You must have an approved registration before you can start to operate a residential service. Operating an unregistered residential service is in breach of the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002. Penalties of up to $143,750 can apply if you do not meet the requirements of the Act.

Applying for registration

To apply for registration, you need to:

An individual or corporation can register as the service provider. If the residential service is to be run by a corporation, each executive officer must provide their details on the application.

The applicant also must provide any other relevant information reasonably required by the chief executive to decide the application. Examples of relevant information could include:

  • if the applicant was previously a service provider whose registration was cancelled
    • how the applicant has addressed the reasons for the cancellation of the registration
    • and
    • why the proposed residential service should be registered despite these reasons.

You must also provide any other relevant information to help progress the application. For example, if your service provider registration has previously been cancelled, outline how you've addressed the reasons for the cancellation and why the proposed registration should be considered.

Applications for registration will be processed in approximately 4–6 weeks. It will take longer if you do not fill out all the relevant information or if you do not pay the fees.

Once you register your residential service you do not have to renew it.

If your registration application is approved

If your application is approved:

  • you will receive a certificate of registration
  • you must apply for accreditation within 3 months
  • the residential service, service provider's name and any associates, and phone and/or email of the service will be listed on a register for public viewing.

If your registration application is refused

If your registration application is refused, we will advise you in writing of the outcome and provide the reasons why the application was not approved.

If you disagree with the registration decision, you have 28 days to apply to the Regulatory Services for a review of the decision. Your decision notice outlines how to apply for a review. This includes completing an application for review of decision (PDF, 114KB). If you disagree with the review decision, you can apply for a hearing with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Local government involvement in residential services

If you are a service provider you are required to apply for a building compliance notice when you register, when you renew your accreditation and if there are any material changes to the registered premises.

Your local government authority (local council) is responsible for ensuring you comply with the requirements of the Queensland Development Code. The requirements for residential services are found in MP 5.7 – Residential Services Building Standard (PDF, 312KB).

It is very important that you apply to your local council for the appropriate inspection to occur before applying to Regulatory Services. The process may take some time to finalise so it is important that you make the appropriate application and organise for an inspection to occur as soon as possible.

The local council must issue a notice within 20 days of receiving your application. If there are non-compliance issues, the notice must state the reasons and indicate what you can do to comply. You then have 20 business days after receiving the non-compliance notice to appeal the decision.

You may also be required to meet other local council requirements before a building compliance notice will be issued.

Surrendering your registration

If you choose to stop operating a residential service, you are required to notify Regulatory Services within 30 days of making this decision. An officer will be able to offer support to help you:

  • ensure residents, or their carers, are appropriately notified of this decision
  • assist in the relocation of residents to other registered residential services, if appropriate
  • make sure that the premises are no longer operating as a residential service
  • ensure other stakeholders including local government authorities and Queensland Fire and Emergency Services are informed that the premises is no longer a residential service.

If you need more information on registering a residential service, you can:

Also consider...