Assistance for young people moving to independent living

Youth Housing Essentials assists young people with the cost of moving from government services to independent living.

This assistance covers the cost of one-off, essential goods and services up to $5,000, such as:

  • furniture, fridge, washing machine and other essential home items
  • education or work necessities, such as school stationery and work clothing
  • transport and moving costs, such as vehicle registration, Go Cards, removalists and identification
  • mobile phone and prepaid phone credit.

Eligibility for Youth Housing Essentials

To access Youth Housing Essentials, a young person must be supported by a youth service provider, government agency or Housing Service Centre.

As an agency, you can apply for Youth Housing Essentials on behalf of any young people you support if they're transitioning from:

  • living in care (child safety)
  • youth justice
  • corrections
  • temporary supported accommodation
  • youth foyers.

How to apply

Before you apply on a young person's behalf, make sure you explore and use other funding options, programs, services and resources that government and community service providers offer.

Young people can't apply for Youth Housing Essentials without support.

To apply, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre or email