Operating a residential service

If you want to operate a residential service in Queensland (e.g. a privately owned and operated boarding house, supported accommodation hostel or aged rental accommodation), you will need to comply with the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002.

The requirements include registering the residential service, applying for accreditation and following the correct procedure when there is a change in associates or service providers.

Penalties of up to $143,750 can apply if you do not meet the requirements of the Residential Services Act. For corporation fines under section 181C of Penalties and Sentences Act 1992, the maximum fine is an amount equal to 5 times the maximum fine for an individual.

In addition to complying with the Act, you also have to meet the requirements of local councils, including those relating to the Building Act 1975, and to food hygiene and public health legislation.

This guide provides information on how to register your residential service, how to apply for accreditation, what to do when there is a change in a service provider or associate, and other requirements.