Design guidelines for social housing
Under the Queensland Housing Strategy 2017–2027 we aim to deliver more social and affordable housing for Queensland.
The strategy redefines how we'll deliver housing to:
- support urban renewal
- generate new jobs
- provide affordable housing
- driving innovative housing design that meets contemporary housing needs.
Read our design and construction standards to learn more about our approach to delivering social and affordable housing.
Our suite of design guidance resources ensure that new social housing dwellings:
- are designed thoughtfully
- meet service delivery requirements
- minimise ongoing maintenance
- contribute to diverse and sustainable communities.
Learn more by reading:
- Social Housing Design Guideline: A QCompanion document 2021 (PDF, 9.8MB)
- Design and Construction Standards for Remote Housing (PDF, 1.2MB).
Technical summary sheets – social housing dwellings
Our technical summary sheets outline the practical requirements to achieve best practice design principles in social housing dwellings. They articulate key site, space, and amenity requirements for projects, which vary depending on project and dwelling type and level of accessibility.
- Technical summary sheets: 2021 (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Technical summary sheets: version 2 June 2022 (PDF, 1.2MB)
Indicative floor plans – social housing dwellings
Our suite of indicative floor plans (PDF, 2.2MB) illustrate a method of achieving the department's target floor areas, which vary by level of accessibility and number of bedrooms.
- Last reviewed: 27 Oct 2021
- Last updated: 30 Jun 2022