Commercial Activity Permits for protected areas, recreation areas and forests

Permitting hub

Online Services is the Department of Environment, Science and Innovation's permitting system for permits and authorities issued on Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service managed areas.

Permit and authority holders, and applicants can use Online Services to:

  • manage your authority
  • submit an application for a new authority
  • submit renewals, amendments and returns
  • access all your documents in 1 place.

To conduct business or fundraising activities in a national park or other protected area, you must apply for a Commercial Activity Permit (CAP).

CAPs are legally required if you want to operate in the following types of protected areas in Queensland:

  • state forests and forest reserves including plantation forests
  • national parks
  • conservation parks
  • resources reserves
  • recreation areas, including
    • Moreton Island Recreation Area
    • Minjerribah Recreation Area
    • Bribie Island Recreation Area
    • Fraser Island Recreation Area
    • Inskip Peninsula Recreation Area
    • Cooloola Recreation Area
    • Green Island Recreation Area.

Commercial permissions also apply to marine parks. Learn more about marine park permits.

Current commercial activity permit exclusion: Lawn Hill Gorge, Boodjamulla National Park (Aboriginal Land)

While post-flood redevelopment is underway, the Lawn Hill Gorge section of Boodjamulla National Park (Aboriginal Land) remains closed to all visitors. No commercial tourism permits are being granted for this section. An update will be provided in September 2024.

This guide explains how to apply for a CAP, and what you need to do to comply once you have a permit or agreement.