Exhibiting animals in Queensland

In Queensland, you will need a licence or permit under the Exhibited Animals Act 2015 (EAA) if you propose to exhibit most native wildlife or non-indigenous animals in:

  • zoos
  • wildlife parks
  • mobile exhibits
  • circuses
  • magic acts
  • film or television productions.

Licences and permits allow you to exhibit and deal with these animals.

In Queensland, you are required to manage the risks associated with animal welfare, biosecurity and safety and be able to demonstrate that you are meeting your general exhibition and dealing obligations to animals in your care. The animals you exhibit are protected by animal welfare, biosecurity and environmental protection laws.

This guide outlines state and national laws that affect the exhibition of animals and discusses the licenses and permits you need to exhibit and deal with animals as part of your business.