Ethical Supplier Threshold for suppliers
The Ethical Supplier Threshold (the Threshold) strengthens the Buy Queensland approach to government procurement and is the Queensland Government's response to the 2018 Parliamentary Committee report A fair day's pay for a fair day's work? Exposing the true cost of wage theft in Queensland.
The Threshold outlines the wage and entitlement standards expected of suppliers who wish to do business with the Queensland Government. Compliance with the Threshold is a precondition for supplying to government.
As part of Buy Queensland 2023, we have enhanced the Threshold to ensure employee wages are paid in accordance with an applicable modern award, including providing award-based wages for people with disability using the Supported Wage System where appropriate.
For more information on the Threshold:
- refer to Clause 19 of the Queensland Procurement Policy 2023
- read the Guidelines: Ethical Supplier Threshold.
Note: The guidelines will be progressively reviewed as part of Buy Queensland 2023 implementation.
When the Threshold applies
From 1 August 2019, the Threshold applies to suppliers across all categories that do business with the following buyers:
- budget sector agencies
- government-owned corporations
- water management boards
- statutory bodies
- special purpose vehicles.
An example of how the Threshold works
A procuring agency calls for tenders.
The invitation to offer requires suppliers to complete the Ethical Supplier Threshold declaration to disclose any previous instances of sham contracting or paying employee wages below the applicable modern award, including failing to pay the employer's superannuation contribution.
The procuring agency determines the supplier pays their employees below the applicable modern award rate of pay and therefore deems the supplier's offer to be non-compliant.
The agency subsequently excludes the supplier's offer from the tender process.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1300 10 50 30
- Subscribe to our newsletter for supplier updates.
- Make a complaint about a Queensland Government procurement process.
- Read more about best practice principles for procurement.
- Find more information on ethical supplier requirements.
- Learn about the Ethical Supplier Mandate.
- Read more about Buy Queensland 2023.