Development of draft end of waste codes
The Department of Environment and Science (DES), under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011, may develop an end of waste (EOW) code.
Annual call for submissions
DES calls for submissions annually for the development of EOW codes. While submissions on all resource types are considered by DES, the decision on whether or not to develop an EOW code is at the discretion of DES.
Where DES considers that a waste has properties that make it comparable to a product and has negligible environmental risks, it may develop a draft EOW code for the waste. A technical advisory panel may be established by DES for the development of an EOW code.
Once a draft EOW code has been developed, it will undergo a public consultation process to allow all stakeholders the opportunity to provide comment on the proposed EOW code.
The most recent call for submissions opened on 18 November 2022 and closed on 31 January 2023. The next call for submissions will be made in the fourth quarter of 2023. Details on how to make a submission will be made available on this website when submissions are open.
Notice inviting comment on draft EOW codes
Once a draft EOW code has been developed, it will be available for comments here.
Currently there are no draft EOW code(s) open for public submission.
Technical advisory panels
Technical advisory panels may be established by DES to prepare draft EOW codes, or to advise on draft EOW codes or amendments to EOW codes.
You may express your interest in being added to a list of experts who could be part of a technical advisory panel. Please be advised that DES is under no obligation to invite persons on the list to participate on a technical advisory panel.
Interested persons will need to:
- Nominate a waste material(s), waste type(s), or other specific area(s) of expertise in which you are qualified and experienced. Other specific areas of expertise may include, for example, chemicals, environmental assessment and expertise associated with the potential end use of a waste
- Be well established in the nominated area(s) of expertise evidenced through qualifications, experience, or professional recognition
- Be a member of a relevant professional organisation(s) where applicable
- Be willing to provide inputs intermittently over a given period (approximately 6 months) on a volunteer basis
- Provide a resume demonstrating the general requirements above and provide 2 professional referees
- Provide a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) demonstrating the skills relevant to the area(s) of expertise.
Send details, demonstrating the general requirements above, to RRS.Consultation@des.qld.gov.au with 'TAP EOI – waste type' as the subject heading.
This is an open invitation and expressions of interest (EOI) are welcome at any time. DES will review EOIs as they are received and advise you of the outcome. If you have any questions regarding the process to establish a technical advisory panel, or the role of the panel in development or amendment of an EOW code, email RSS.Consultation@des.qld.gov.au.
Schedule of proposed EOW codes
The following schedule provides details on the development of draft EOW codes.
Register your interest in being consulted when a draft EOW code is being prepared, by sending the following details to RRS.Consultation@des.qld.gov.au, with the subject heading 'EOI – consultation on draft codes':
- your name
- company name (if applicable)
- postal address
- the EOW code(s) that you wish to be consulted on.
Note: All the draft EOW codes listed in the schedule will be made publicly available on this website for consultation and registration is not essential to provide comment.
|Waste||Proposed use||TAP identified as required||Date for commencement of draft code development||Proposed date for completion of draft code development|
|Silica fumes||Supplementary cementitious material in concrete and other cement products like shot-crete||No||Public consultation completed||Public consultation completed|
|Blast furnace slag||
Supplementary cementitious material in concrete and other cement products;|
|No||Public consultation completed||Public consultation completed|
|Glycerol||Feedstock in manufacturing compost||No||Public consultation completed||Public consultation completed|
Note: In the event of any changes to the proposed date for completion following unforeseen circumstances, an update will be provided on this website accordingly.
- Read about the EOW framework.
- Learn about EOW codes, including the current approved EOW codes.
- Learn about EOW approvals.
I want to...
- Payroll tax and grouping - Maroochydore 06/02/2023
- Payroll tax and contractor payments - Maroochydore 06/02/2023