Asbestos waste management
The Department of Environment and Science (DES) licenses businesses that transport asbestos waste and landfills that accept this waste.
Businesses that breach their environmental authority conditions or carry out these activities without an environmental licence may be fined or prosecuted.
When asbestos waste has been illegally dumped, DES can issue a fine or prosecute the person who has dumped the asbestos under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011. Removal of the asbestos waste is the responsibility of the land owner. Members of the public can report littering or illegal dumping online or by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
DES is also involved in the investigation of fires and other incidents where both asbestos and chemicals are released to the environment. The investigations seek to determine whether someone has breached the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
- Learn more about asbestos, including transport and disposal of asbestos waste.
- Find out about asbestos removal and assessor licence requirements.
- Read your waste tracking obligations when transporting asbestos.
- Last reviewed: 28 Oct 2021
- Last updated: 28 Oct 2021
I want to...
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 06/06/2023
- Mentoring for Growth Day - Online 07/06/2023