National Pollutant Inventory (NPI)
The National Pollutant Inventory (NPI) database collects information about emissions and transfers of 93 substances across Australia.
If your industrial facility exceeds reporting thresholds for one or more substances you are required to calculate and report the annual emissions and transfers that result from its operations. There is a maximum penalty of $2,000 if your business fails to comply with NPI reporting requirements.
You can also search the NPI database to find out about emissions in different areas, and details of individual facilities reporting to the NPI.
Reporting to the NPI
Use the NPI guide to determine if your facility exceeds NPI reporting thresholds and will need to report to the NPI.
If your facility is required to report, estimate the emissions of NPI substances which have exceeded thresholds to air, land and water.
If your facility needs to report transfers of NPI substances in waste, estimate the amount contained within the waste. Use the industry reporting materials and your industry's emission estimation technique manual to help you estimate emissions and transfers.
Read the Environmental Protection Regulation 2008 for more on NPI reporting requirements in Queensland.
Lodging your NPI report
To lodge your report you will need to:
- Complete a user registration form for the NPI online Reporting System. Email, fax or post the completed form to:
Fax: (07) 3170 5797
NPI - Inventory and Air Assessment
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Sciences
Department of Science, Information Technology and Innovation
GPO Box 5078
Brisbane QLD 4001
Phone: (07) 3170 5733
- Estimate your facility’s emissions and transfers.
- Submit your report to us using the NPI online reporting system.
NPI reports are usually based on the financial year and are due by 30 September each year.
Searching the NPI
Use the NPI website for:
- quick postcode searches to find out about emissions in your local community
- substance sources and emissions at either postcode, local area, state or national level
- full details of individual facilities reporting to the NPI, including emission reduction activities undertaken by the facility
- diffuse emissions, such as from motor vehicles and households, which are estimated in airsheds or water catchments
- data downloads to allow offline analysis of the annual raw emission data
- interactive maps showing the location of reporting facilities.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 3170 5733.
- Last reviewed: 08 Aug 2016
- Last updated: 08 Aug 2016
I want to...
General enquiries 13 QGOV (13 74 68)