Environmental codes of practice for industry
Industry codes of practice have been developed to help businesses comply with their general environmental duty and the Environmental Protection Act 1994.
Codes are usually prepared by industry bodies and advise members on how to prevent or minimise environmental harm.
Complying with an approved code of practice is voluntary but, by proving your compliance, you can defend a charge of unlawfully causing environmental harm.
Approved environmental codes
The following industry codes of practice have been approved by the Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection.
Concrete batching industry code of practice - ESR/2015/1715 (PDF, 327KB)
Expires 7 August 2021
Developed by Cement Concrete and Aggregates Australia, Local Government Association of Queensland and the Queensland Government
Mosquito management code of practice - ESR/2016/3089 (PDF, 2.1MB)
Expires 11 December 2021
Prepared by the Local Government Association of Queensland
Motor vehicle workshop
Motor vehicle workshop code of practice - ESR/2015/1716 (PDF, 660KB)
Expires 26 June 2021
Developed by the Motor Traders Association of Queensland, Local Government Association of Queensland and the Queensland Government
Queensland Murray-Darling Basin Store and Release
Queensland Murray-Darling Basin Store and Release code of practice (PDF, 574KB) and explanatory guide (PDF, 504KB)
Expires 17 December 2023
Developed by the Queensland Government and Cotton Australia
Transport noise management - Volume 2 - Construction noise and vibration
Transport noise management code of practice - ESR/2016/3084 (PDF, 1.4MB)
Expires 28 July 2023
Developed by the Department of Transport and Main Roads
Developing a code of practice
To develop an environmental code of practice for your industry, you need to be a:
- leading Industry or government association for Queensland, e.g. Queensland Farmers' Federation or Local Government Association of Queensland
- leading business for your industry, e.g. Queensland Rail.
To develop a code of practice, you can download the:
- developing codes of practice information sheet - ESR/2015/1695 (PDF, 47KB)
- code of practice template - ESR/2015/1687 (PDF, 190KB)*.
*Note: You can use the motor vehicle workshop code of practice listed above as an example, since it was developed using this template.
- Last reviewed: 12 Dec 2016
- Last updated: 01 Jan 2016
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 22/08/2017
- Payroll tax: Contractors (Harmonised) 22/08/2017