COVID-19 advice for retirement village operators
You must comply with the Queensland Government's public health measures.
At all times, village staff and visitors should:
- try to maintain physical distancing: stay at least 1.5 metres away from other people
- comply with any mandatory mask wearing requirements
- comply with any business check-in requirements for the collection of contact information
- practice hand hygiene
- practice respiratory hygiene
- regularly clean and disinfect your environment.
Refer to the Queensland Government's public health measures for guidance on use of:
- shared facilities such as dining halls, libraries, games rooms, common sitting areas
- auditoriums and meeting areas
- theatres and cinemas
- a place of worship or a religious ceremony.
Meetings called by the operator
You can still call meetings with residents during the COVID-19 pandemic if you comply with the public health measures. If a meeting is called, you must ensure that all residents can participate in discussions and access all matters raised.
Annual meeting of residents
Under section 131 of the Act, annual meetings of residents must be held as soon as reasonably practicable after the annual financial statements are available. The annual financial statements are due within 5 months after the end of financial year and you must present the annual financial statements to the meeting.
You can hold the annual meeting using one of the options outlined above, however it may not be practicable to hold the meeting by video, phone or multiple methods. In that case, you must determine when it is both reasonably practicable and lawful to hold an in-person meeting in compliance with the public health measures.
You should notify residents if the annual meeting will be delayed until it is reasonably practicable and lawful to hold a meeting in person.
Any delay in the calling of the annual meeting does not change or reduce your responsibility to manage the finances of the village in accordance with the Act.
As COVID-19 Public Health Directions continue to change rapidly, it may not always be clear to operators how to apply the arrangements in your village.
To understand the current restrictions:
- check the public health directions
- contact the Association of Residents of Queensland Retirement Villages for further advice.
If you've taken appropriate steps to understand and apply the current Public Health Directions to ensure the health and safety of staff, home owners, other residents and guests, we will not penalise you if complying with a health direction is inconsistent with any legal or regulatory obligation.
More COVID-19 information
Check the following websites for the latest information:
- Queensland Health for
- accurate information about the COVID-19 virus in Queensland
- what you can do to prevent transmission and minimise service impacts
- this Business Queensland website for the latest Queensland and Australian Government updates and advice for businesses
- Australian Government for the latest COVID-19 news, updates and advice from Australian Government agencies.