Registration of a retirement village
Under the Retirement Villages Act 1999, all retirement village operators must register their schemes.
You cannot operate a retirement village scheme in Queensland if you:
- are insolvent under administration
- have a conviction for fraud or dishonesty punishable by at least 3 months imprisonment, or for an offence of physical violence.
To register a retirement village scheme:
- Complete a Retirement Villages – Application for registration as a retirement village scheme (Form 2) (PDF, 393KB)
- Pay the registration fee of $2,387.60 (new scheme) and the criminal history check fee of $39.75 (inc. GST)
- Complete your Retirement Villages – Village comparison document (VCD) (Form 3) (DOC, 262KB)
- Provide originals or certified copies of your birth certificate, birth extract, passport, Australian Citizenship Certificate or drivers licence
- Lodge the entire application (read the form for lodgement details).
The chief executive must decide whether to register or refuse to register a retirement village scheme within 60 days of receipt of a complete application for registration.
If we ask you for further information, the 60 days starts from the day you provide the information.
After your application is processed
If your application is approved, your scheme's name and details are placed on a list that the public can search to confirm you are registered.
If your application is not approved, you will be notified in writing, including the reasons for the decision.
Appealing a decision
After receiving the notice that your application has been declined, you may apply under the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009 for a review of the decision by the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).
Paying fees for operating a Retirement Village
You can pay for registration fees and criminal history checks using BPOINT or by cheque or money order.
The registration fee is $2,387.60 (new scheme) with no GST payable on fees.
A criminal history check will be conducted on each person whose date and place of birth are requested. The fee for the criminal history check is $39.75 (inc. GST). Note, the fee quoted may be changed at any time.
BPOINT is a secure, real-time payment service provided by the Commonwealth Bank that allows you to pay online or by phone.
You can make a BPOINT payment using your credit card, debit card or Masterpass Digital Wallet. We accept Visa and Mastercard.
Have your details ready to make your payment.
Note: The minimum transaction amount accepted is $20 and the maximum is $100,000 on credit card accounts for BPOINT.
You can make a BPOINT payment:
- phone 1300 276 468 (1300 BPOINT).
Cheque or money order
You can also pay by business cheque or money order.
Mail your completed application and the money order or cheque to:
PO Box 690
BRISBANE QLD 4001
- Find out about the role of the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT).